I peeled my comforter back just enough for me to scoot out of bed and not to disturb her. Last night's events were still getting to me and almost felt... surreal. As though I had dreamt the whole thing out of thin air, yet she was proof my actions were actually worth it. I pondered how much had happened since I got to Virginia, how my life was starting to look up. Ever since I reconnected with an old friend and acquired a genuine lover.

As I twisted the knob to exit my room, Willow turned over while simultaneously sliding her pale pink dress that lacked its usual length. Her rear came in to my line of vision and I jerked my head almost creating whiplash to escape the enticing sight.

That day I wanted to take Willow out on a date. I gathered a few clothes from the tiny laundry room which consisted of an off brand Polo shirt paired with casual black jeans. Sure a little dressy for my taste but in a way, worth it.

Accordingly, I brushed my teeth and did my normal routine. Although, there was an upbeat pep in my step knowing that Willow was out of harm's way for the time being and I could atleast try to show her a pleasant time.

When heading to the living room, I spotted the same fifty dollar bill as last night. The card Nonna left me was next to it and I unknowingly forgot to read it. Picking it up, I opened the turquoise flap and scanned the inside.

"Ace, every year you ask for the same thing and every year I give you the same thing. But I've had the privilege to raise you to adulthood and no matter what struggles we go through, no matter how much you've grown, you'll always be my dearest nipote. And no matter what challenge life throws at us, your heart is still pure. You'll always be my rock. I apologize for not always being there, especially today. Hope this card can make up for it. Hugs and Kisses from Nonna, enjoy your special day."

My heart always swelled at her deep, handwritten words. Because whether she's with me or not, her love will always comfort me. Everything she had done for me throughout the years, I wondered how she could even put up with me. Guilt always weighed heavy on my heart, because no amount of good behavior or love I could present to her would be enough to repair the damage I idiotically caused.

"Is that the card from your gramma?" I heard a soft careful voice, a few feet behind me ask.

"Yeah," I answered while smiling sadly and returning it to the table, "Regardless of what she does for my birthday, just her being there for me all this time is a gift in itself already. God knows my parents wouldn't have any knowledge of that." My last statement sounded bitter and cold, yet I laughed dryly.

"Hey," she drawled out in sentiment. Her voice grew closer, "You've been doin' alright so far, right? Don't let any of that negative stuff determine your mood for today... I actually have something planned just for us."

My ears perked up, "You... do?" I was puzzled considering my birthday was through. Aside from that, I had contemplated over different proposals for us as well.

"You don't have to worry about that, my birthday's over. Let me treat you."
When I turned around, she still wore her pale pink dress with lace wrapped around each shoulder. Wrinkles gathered at the waist and was obviously slept in. Her dark tresses had been flattened by her hands, yet she sent a luminous smile my way. Beautiful didn't do her appearance justice.

She dismissed me, "No negotiations mister, you're already dressed for today's events anyway. Couldn't let this look go to waste." Observant brown eyes scanned me up and down innocently. Only I took it as a flirtacious inspection.

"Oh? Says the one who took a leap with a mid thigh dress..." My words hung in the air, our gazes locked and teasing her only made it more entertaining.