31: see you again one day

it's ending soon aaaaaaaaa
__________________________________

Senior year was over. But today it really was. It was Graduation Day. My body shook the whole time, but Levi squeezed my shoulder amd gave me a reassuring subtle smile. Each of our names were being called up one by one. One by one - we grew up. I thought about the four years of my time in highschool, and it was a rollercoaster, I'm telling you.

My parents hadn't come to the ceremony, nor called. They were probably busy with patients as usual, and didn't know when graduation was anyway. Or so I hoped. But I was still probably right. But most of us in our group were in the same situation. Guess we were just that independent at this point. Only Connie's, Sasha's, Jean's, and Eren's parents had come.

The group decided to choose university life anyways, but still just not the same direction. They had all found someway to pay for their tuition whether it was loans or scholar. Some of them were already packed and ready to lead their way to adulthood. Levi wasn't sure at first but was obviously heading that direction anyway after getting almost half a million dollar scholarship. It wasn't that surprising being the smart grump he is.

But there was me.

Where was I headed now?

"So, this it it?" Sasha sobbed. She welcomed my short appearance with the embrace of tight warm hug. "I'm gonna miss you, (Y/N)." She cried some more.

Hanji joined in on the hug. We were a clump of a mess, crying our eyes out.

Then the guys were next for the embrace and they didn't even have time to think about holding in their tears.

"I wish I met you sooner, my child." She tells me, her voice cracking a little bit before sniffling and giving me a long hug.

"Thanks for making our last year of highschool fun." Eren punched my shoulder playfully.

"Same to you, Eren." I pulled my phone out of my pocket. "Hey, guys. Let's take a picture before we go."

Everyone gathered around, wiping away their tears and fixing their messy hair for the picture.

Goodbye?

Snap.

Goodbye.

"I gotta go, guys." Eren waved goodbye.

"WAIT!" Jean yelled grabbing Eren's arm. "I don't hate you, you know that, right?"

"I don't either," Eren smiled. "You were a pretty cool dude. Bye, Jean."

The two hugged and for the first time they weren't like piranhas about to snap but unseparable buddies.

Mikasa put her arm around me, "We'll keep in touch, okay?"

"Okay."

As more minutes passed, the more of us went and left.

Until, it was down to three.

Two.

One.

Then, there was me.

Just like the beginning of the year. Letting go of the people who made my life so crazy but so enjoyably different. But this was a time in life where we had to let go somehow. And I did. I felt like a mother right now, despite my own not even coming for a visit. I felt proud that everyone was going after their own dreams and growing up to be more responsible. But it hurt. There wasn't much I could do about it but to make my own decision to find my way into becoming a responsible adult.

And that was it.

~

I finally got home, exhausted because I had chosen to walk for more time to think. The sun was still up but not completely since it wasn't that bright outside anymore. Levi had gone home the earliest out of all of us but I didn't want to ask since it looked urgent. I was worried, debating whether to call. But instead, I chose to just text him asking he was alright.

I searched the fridge for something to eat. I ended up frying some eggs and toasting bread - which is the only thing I know how to make. Because breakfast can be for dinner too, right?

I ate my nighttime breakfast and decided to get changed into something else more comfortable.

I walked into my bedroom, dive bombing into the bed. The pillows were cold and so cozy I could fall asleep in seconds. My body was so relaxed until the doorbell decided to ring.

I groaned, having to get up to check the visitor, and completely letting go of the comfortable position I was already in. And I was done letting go for the day.

I walked over, tripping on the puppies who raced me to the door. I looked through the door hole and I was sure of who it was - but I couldn't believe it.

I opened the door and I was greeted by familiar and similar eyes.

"Mom?"