27: it went well after all

I tried to look as calm as possible, but my hands which were hidden behind my back gripped tightly onto my shirt, waiting for a response from Levi. No, it didn't even have to be a response. Just anything. Blink. Cough. Something.

And then he broke eye contact and buried his face into his palms. I heard a small chuckle. I almost panicked because that chuckle could have meant possibly anything.

"It's so weird to see this side of you," he muttered. I blushed at the comment.

"Screw it." And right after the simple two-word statement, Levi pulled my arm and I was suddenly engulfed by the warmth of his body. He tightly wrapped his arms around me and I froze in shock, surprise, and confusion. My emotions were exploding into this unreadable mixture of a mess. Ironically, the usually cold person who is hugging me right now, told me that seeing the soft side of me was weird.

"If you haven't guessed by now, that boy you speak of loves you, too."

And the words I wanted to hear finally relieved me.

I hesitated before returning the embrace. And then I let it all out. My emotions poured out of my eyes and I cried. I don't know how to explain this moment. It's like putting all your hope into something even though you know it was impossible. But it slaps you in the face, and that false hope you had was beat to the ground, and it told you in front of your face that you were wrong. And then suddenly everything was relieved. Everything felt better. This was such a strange moment because it was so sweet that I wanted to throw up but it was so sweet that it was just best to appreciate the ironic moment.

"Oi, why are you crying?"

"Just ignore it for now, it's how I cope."

He gently stroked my head, amusingly comforting me, and he whispered softly. "Okay, brat."

My crying finally calmed and wiped away my tears. We still held each other until we remembered that the others were probably going to return from the bathroom soon. And we were right.

"Oh my. I think I ate too many burritos, don't you think?" We immediately let go of each other when we heard Hanji approach along with the others. Except they all looked like they crawled out of years worth of torture. Their faces were red and just looked absolutely wasted.

"What on earth happened to you, guys? You look like you went through hell!" I examined their faces and I was surprised that even Mikasa's eyes were a bit red just like the others.

"More like heaven." Hanji swooned.

"What?! Ya'll passed around the weed in the bathroom or something?"

"(Y/N), omg, no." Sasha denied because she knows she would never do such thing.

"We had a... an allergic reaction from that... tree! Yes, the tree, near the thing, and it gave us the... allergy?" Armin lied terribly.

But we just got past that curiosity and watched the fireworks together. It was our first one, but senior year was ending soon. We'll all be separated the more time flies by. So we enjoyed every single second because it was probably our last one as well. I casually looked over at Levi and he did the same. I grinned at him, which faded away when Hanji looked at me with her watery eyes. She gave me a thumbs up which gave me the idea that she knew what was going on. But either way, it went well after all.

~

I laid in my bed, and the feeling of excitement and happiness still remained. We got home really late so the exhaustion was expected to kick in soon. But instead I was wide awake, randomly smiling, and thinking. It was already an hour past exactly when it hit twelve. I tossed and turn, and pinched myself to remind that this definitely wasn't a dream. I grabbed phone and stared at the blank screen. I thought about texting Levi, but he was probably already asleep. Soon, I didn't have to do it anyway because my phone lit up and coincidentally - I got a text from Levi.

From: Angry Chibi Boi

1:07 am

Oi brat u awake

I laughed at his text, almost being able to hear the bluntness of his voice.

To: Angry Chibi Boi

1:08 am

no im sleep texting

-

From: Angry Chibi Boi

1:08 am

ha. ha. ..... cant sleep?

nope

me neither

do u think u'll be asleep anytime soon

in my situation right now... definitely not.

well dont go start bumping into ppl

dont start dropping ur papers everywhere

i hope by now its settled that it wasn't my fault

it was still ur hands holding it

BUT... nvm. its settled we're even.

right. since we're not even planning to sleep, do you want to go outside

okay. i cud use some fresh air

see you then

I almost forgot how close Levi actually lived. I walked outside in the chilly yet strangely warm darkness of spring. Levi stood across the street and I walked over. We sat together on the bench near the groomed plants where the light shone like a spotlight. The awkwardness was still there but it was a lot easier to get through.

"This is actually really nice." I appreciated the peacefulness of the night and atmosphere that seemed so scary when you were alone. Anything could be lurking at this time. There was barely any vehicles that passed by. It felt like the world was all to ourselves. But that wasn't true and we tried to not be too loud and disruptive.

"Yeah." Levi agreed.

Levi took a deep breath and then spoke, "I guess it's time to ask."

I looked over to him and he looked extremely flustered.

"Will you.."

Will you what exactly?

"Will you be..."

Anytime now.

"Will you be my... willyoubemygirlfriend?"

I burst into laughter as the flustered boy struggled to ask me shyly, completely forgetting about his cold demeanor and just quickly said what he wanted to say to get it over with.

"Well, it depends. Do you think you can tolerate me?" I joked.

"I've tolerated you long enough. I wouldn't ask if I couldn't keep it up."

I laughed and laughed. And I made my decision.

"Then it's a yes."