23: this just got awkward

Ya'll still alive from the last chapter?? LOL cuz I know quite a few of u died at that "part" .... ;)

___________________

Connie looked at his phone to check the time, "I'm starving! What's taking them so lo-"

His words were interrupted by none other than me, running towards the long awaiting group at maximum sonic speed.

"Jesus. Did you rob a bank or something?" Mikasa asked concerned.

I tried to catch my breath. "I think that would have been better," I mumbled.

"Well, did you find Levi?" Hanji asked while eyeing me with a mischievous look.

"Huh? Oh- w-what? Who's that? Pfft." I panicked.

I turned around and significantly bumped into -oh of course - Levi. Duh.

"Where were you?" Eren asked.

"Bathroom." Levi looks at me and I immediately looked away, tapping my fingers on the table. I don't know Levi that didn't seem like the bathroom at all.

I continued to look at the floor for as long as I could feel his eyes burning through me like lasers. I am definitely running for it as soon as he stops staring.

"Okay- let's go, guys. My stomach is growling," Sasha said trying to not sound too impatient.

"Alr- Where'd (Y/N) go?"

~

Armin fidgeted "Hey, (Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

"You don't seem so... okay? Is there anything wrong?"

"Ahh... sure. Of course. Yes."

"You sure? Nothing happened or anything?"

"Nope. I'm okay I promise."

Armin smiled and decided to not ask any farther.

It was the day after and everyone was busy laughing and eating their lunch at the table. I stood in line to get my lunch but really I was just trying to take as long as possible. I reached the front of the line just to go back of the line again. The cafeteria lookout glared at me suspiciously. Square up, mate. You ain't the one who accidentally heard something they weren't supposed to.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Um, are you gonna get lunch or not?"

"Uh, sure. I guess," I said regretfully. Dang it. Why are my refusal skills so terrible?

So now I had no choice but to get my lunch. I couldn't pretend to take my time to think about what to get because people were getting annoyed, and there's only three options on the menu - only one of them being somewhat decent.

I had the tray in my hand and my backpack on my shoulders - it was all secure enough for me to be able to make a run for the rooftop. I looked down at my shoes to check if I could run fast enough.

Okay, okay. Maybe I can make i-

"(Y/N), come on! Sit with us!" I heard Hanji's voice yell.

Mother FFFFFFFFFrog.

I guess I had no choice after all. I dragged my feet towards the table and mentally scolded my self in shame. I sat in the center of the vacant gap making sure I was a good distance from Levi.

I tried to avoid conversation without being rude so I just asked for everyone's breadsticks - except for Levi - and quietly shoved them in my mouth. I put in just enough to obviously not be able to talk at all.

Everyone watched my actions, looking at each other, telepathically asking questions with their eyes with shrugs and confusion.

Man, this is so uncomfortable.

Oh it gets better.

I felt a presence appear close and right next to me.

I nearly choked on all the breadsticks in my mouth when I saw Petra.

On the outside, I had breadsticks in my mouth. On the inside, I was crying and screaming for help and mercy.

At this point, I'm just doing everything I can to avoid this situation. My mouth is stuffed, I'm fidgeting, I'm avoiding eye contact, and I'm slicing lettuce with a plastic knife and fork like it's gourmet.

"Hey, (Y/N)." Petra started. I glanced in her direction and just made noises.

I took a peek at Levi and his eyes were glowing death as he stared at Petra with a deadly grip on the cafeteria's poor chemical-tasting apple.

"I didn't know you knew this brat, Petra." Levi gritted through his teeth.

Boi, you be spittin' lies right now.

"Oh. Of course I know her, silly goose. Why wouldn't I? She's too precious, isn't she?" She mocked back sounding completely just as annoyed and 'fake friendly'.

I kept filling my lungs up with breadsticks and I can't even explain how much I want to just evaporate to get out of here.

Everyone went silent, watching the banter back and forth with surprise expressions.

"So, what brings you here?"

"Oh, just visiting my darling."

"I don't remember you having a darling at this table."

"Oh, sure I do."

"Really? Would you like to tell who?"

"(Y/N)." Petra said roughly with a sudden change in her voice.

"I heard she was taken. You're out of luck." Levi responded immediately.

Everyone's eyes got wider and Hanji was too amused while her eyes glistened with joy.

"You heard she was taken? Maybe by me, you mean."

"Shut up. I told you she's miiii....nnn...never mind."

Everyone held their breath, including me who was about to past out.

"What's that you say?" Petra looked in amusement.

"I think you're looking at the one (Y/N) loves more."

"Hey! Did you just- that's not fair."

"It sure is. Especially when your darling is wearing the necklace I gave her."

"Necklace?!" Everyone gasped. Meanwhile Sasha cackled like a maniac.

I hugged my breadstick and rocked back and forth. "Carissimi non caelum et vita mea me..."

"How are you so sure of someone else's feelings like it's your own? I used to see you staring at her in the hallways sometimes. In fact, I still do! I was so surprised when you two argued that time you bumped into each other. You say she loves you but maybe you're just twisting words around and it's actually YOU who loves her!"

Levi stood up from his seat. "WELL, MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT!"

Everyone around them got their attention caught by his sudden yell.

"Oh my god," Hanji whispered.

"Valeant im mundo exisse..." I mumbled.

"Uhh... I think (Y/N) got possessed..."

"Ego sum ​​vivens lucem videret cadaver mortui im ego cogito..."

"Are you okay there?" Jean asked worried.

And with that, my face was too hot and I felt the blood rushing - and my heart couldn't handle it. My vision blurried and suddenly everything was just darkness.