46

Aphmau

I spent the rest of the day either staring at the promise ring, re-thinking everything, or screaming internally.

   "I want to marry you."

   The thought made my heart lurch. But now, I was back at the dorm, staring at the ring intensely.

   "It's not going anywhere," Garroth smiled.

   "I know," I laughed. "It's just so pretty."

   "Like someone I know."

    "Who?" I looked back to the ring, not processing his words.

     "You, silly." He slung his arm around my shoulder.

     "..OH!" I facepalmed. "Sorry. The words just kind of made sense right after you--"

   My phone rang, making us both shut up.

   I reached over to it, looking at the called ID.

    It was an unknown number.

   I raised an eyebrow, holding the phone to my ear.

   "Hello--"

   "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" A girl's scream flew through the speaker.

   I winced, pulling the phone away from my ear as screams vibrated from my phone. I hit speaker, holding the phone away from my face.

"AAAAAAAH--" the screams were muffled.

"Shut up, you dumb bitch!" Another girl hissed.

Garroth shot me a worried glance.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hi, hi! Sorry! My friend was screaming." The same girl laughed. "Is this Aphmau?"

"Y-yes, it is," I shifted. "Can I help you?"

The girl dropped the friendly act. "Listen. I saw your post about the dumbass ring that Garroth gave you. And if you don't either throw it in the ocean or burn it, I'm afraid I'll have to do those things to you."

Garroth snatched my phone. "No, you listen. I don't appreciate you talking to my girlfriend like that. So if you'd be kind enough to go fuck yourself and leave Aphmau alone, maybe I could learn to tolerate you again. Maybe."

  I felt my face heat up.

"Oh, Senpai," she giggled. "I've always wanted you to notice me. Just in not this way. Looks like I have some rivals to kill--"

He hung up.

"Let's go to my mum's," he suggested.

"That'd be great," I smiled as he helped me up. "Let me go get dressed."

* * *

   Garroth

   "You better not mess this up."

   "Listen here, boy. I don't need you pestering me about this. I love her."

   "You're speaking for the both of us."

   His face fell, and his eyebrows drew together angrily. His blue eyes glared.

   Oh, shit.

  "It's go time!" I shook my head, pushing him out of view from the door. "Come in when I say."

  I opened the door, getting a weird look for Aphmau. I left it slightly open, so that he could hear me.

   "Sorry, love. I had to get something out from my car." I motioned to my wallet.

   "It's fine." She smiled. ".. Do you feel that?"

   "Feel what?"

   "I don't know.. I just feel weird."

    "Are you sick?"

  "I don't think so. It's not that kind of weird."

  "Hm.. Would be a shame if you were sick on your birthday."

   "Yeah, it would--"

   The door opened, revealing the brown haired man. He wore his army uniform.

   Silvana smiled, as she knew Garroth's plan about this. Levin and Malachi waved to him.

   Pause.

   You might be confused; isn't Aphmau's father dead?

   Well, no. He was in the army, and was lost. The presumed him dead, as they never found his body.

  The found him a little over three months ago, and he's been in rehab for his trauma and his health for about two. Silvana was contacted, and boy, was she happy.

  Silvana and I decided to keep this a secret, and give Aphmau's father to her for her birthday.

  Resume.

  "Silvana," Adrian nodded to her, then his eyes landed on Aphmau.

  She was shaking, her breaths getting heavy.

"It's me, Aphie."

She reached for the counter, sucking air in and out. "N-no. You're dead."

"I'm alive," he shook his head. "I fought. I fought for you."

She gasped, and I watched at tears filled up her eyes. "Oh, God, it's you!"

"It's me," he smiled.

She ran over to him, screaming as he picked her up, holding her.

She cried into him, and we all watched in silence as he cried, too.

And it was really heartwarming to watch.

She didn't let go of him, even when he set her down. She just continued crying into his chest.

Adrian looked at me, sending me a 'thank-you' glance. I nodded it return.

Aphmau was happy.

And that's all I needed.