30

Garroth's POV

After checking out of the hotel, Aphmau and I decided to go see Laurance.

When we got to the hospital, I froze right when we were about to walk in.

"Garroth," Aphmau said, dragging me over to the side. "You can do this. Okay?"

I swallowed. "O-okay."

And I did.

We walked in, checking in with the hospital and walking to Laurance's room. The door was cracked open, and sobbing could be heard from the inside.

We peeked in.

Cadenza and her father stood by Laurance's bed. Cadenza was on her knees, sobbing, while her father just looked at Laurance with sad eyes.

Aphmau pulled the door closed, biting her lip. "It's rude to intrude. We'll wait till they're done."

"Yeah." I nodded. She turned to me.

"Uh.. Are Cadenza and Laurance related or something?"

"Cadenza's father adopted Laurance from an orphanage when he was really little." I nodded. "So.. yeah. It's his adopted sister."

"Oh." She nodded. "Uh.. Can I ask you a question?"

"Anything." I sat down, and as sat down in the chair next to me.

"So.. You say that Zoey's your step sister." She said. I nodded. "Okay. I'm confused.. Are Garte and Zianna divorced?"

"Yeah. My mum.. Uh.. had an affair with another man.. And Vylad was.. created, I guess. My dad divorced her, but they're still kind of close. My mum's married to Zoey's dad."

"That's confusing." She swallowed.

"Very." I said. "My parents don't live together, but Garte usually comes over to bring Zane over.. He goes to O'khasis Prep."

"Oh." She bit her lip. "And you said you don't like Zane or your father..?"

"I love Zane." I shook my head. "He's my brother. My father's just making him.. follow the wrong footsteps."

"I see." She nodded. "Okay.. That clears things up."

"Yeah--" I was cut off by an alarm.

"What the hell is that?" Aphmau asked.

My stomach dropped.

"Hurricane." I swallowed.

"Oh shit!" I exclaimed. "Garroth, I have to get home!"

"Come on." I grabbed her hand, sprinting away from Laurance's hospital room.

I'm sorry. I'll see you another time.

I bolted out of the doors, ignoring all of the chaos around me and people telling me not to leave.

We raced into the car, Aphmau texting her mom that her and I were on their way right now.

She breathed heavily, her legs shaking.

I drove as fast I as could without crashing.

After about five minutes, we got to her house. Rain was pouring and I could barely see.

We quickly pulled into the garage. Aphmau jumped out of the car right as it stopped and closed the garage door.

We raced inside the the side door, shutting it. Aphmau's mum ran to us, letting out a relieved sigh before hugging Aphmau to death.