12

*warning: things get a little heated. Nothing too bad.

Aphmau's POV

   I stared back at the campfire, a smile still played on my lips. Garroth and I had walked back, pretending like nothing had happened.

   I felt a tap on my shoulder, and I looked up. Katelyn looked the other way motioning me to follow her.

   I got up, walking towards her. As soon as we got farther away, she hugged me.

   I hugged back, resting my head on her shoulder. She let out a relived sigh.

   "I'm sorry." She shook her head when we pulled apart. "I'm not your mom. I can't decide for you, and I think it's okay if you end up with whoever as long as they treat you right."

   "Kate," I smiled. "It's okay. You were just trying to protect me."

   "It's what I'm here for." She smiled too, shrugging her shoulders. "So.. What happened?"

   "What do you mean?"

    "I saw Ro'maeve follow you after I told him where you went." She rolled her eyes. "Something happened."

   "Well," I swallowed. "I-I guess we k-kissed again."

   She choked, and I heard a gasp behind me. I felt my face get red as I slowly turned around, seeing Laurance with his jaw to the ground.

   "How long have you been here?" I winced.

   "Long enough!" He scrunched up his nose.

   "Oh, gosh," I mumbled, slapping myself in the forehead. "Please, please don't tell anyone? I don't want to say anything--"

   "Wait!" He exclaimed, staring at me with wide eyes. "You said 'again'. Does that mean..? Holy shit!"

   "Laurance!" I groaned, pushing his shoulder. "I don't even think it means anything!"

   "It has to mean something." Katelyn scoffed. "It's not like he just kissed you for no reason."

   Did he kiss me for no reason?

   He seems to have a history of doing that to other girls.

  I fell silent, making Katelyn gasp.

   "Aph, I didn't mean--"

   "No." I shook my head. "It's probably what it means. You're right."

    "Yo, Aphmau." Laurance shook his head. "You don't know that."

   "It's not like he likes me or anything," I said quietly, staring at the ground. I felt my heart breaking.

   Why did I have to get so damn attached to everything.

   I shook my head and began walking back to the fire. This time, I sat in between Dante and Lucinda.

   I placed my head on Dante's shoulder, making him look down at me. He wrapped his arm around me, lightly patting my arm, confused.

   I sighed and shut my eyes, feeling other eyes burn into me. I slightly opened them to see Garroth staring at me, then turning his head away to the fire.

   Then, I finally saw darkness.

          *             *               *

I felt myself being lifted up my two strong arms, then being held. I slightly opened my eyes to see the familiar head of blonde hair.

   He looked down at me, smiling slightly. "Hey there, sleeping beauty."

   I felt my heart shattering at the thought of him just playing me, but regardless, I smiled back. "Hi."

   "You crashed." He laughed. "I can put you down if you want."

   "No." I shook my head. "I'm okay."

   "Alright."

  We walked for another minute, then reached the car.

   "Where's Katelyn, Laurance and Dante?" I asked as Garroth set me down in front of the passenger door. "And the girls?"

    "Well," he cleared his throat, reaching out and opening the door for me. "The girls took everyone home, but I told them I could take you since we were in the same dorm and all."

   I nodded. I flashed a smile to him before getting in the car.

   He closed the door and walked to the other side, sliding into the drivers seat. Before he could put the key in the ignition, I accidentally asked him something.

    "Why did you kiss me?"

   He froze. He didn't look at me, he just leaned back in his seat.

   "Uh," he cleared his throat again. He fell silent.

   I felt tears form in my eyes. "Oh. I see."

   "No, no!" He said, leaning over to me. "It's nothing like that! I-it's just hard to admit!"

   "What's there to admit?" I asked. "That you just.. did it for your own reasons?"

   "No!" He exclaimed, tilting his head to look at me. "It's because I like you, Aphmau!"

   My jaw fell a little bit, and I felt my heart being pieced back together.

   My heart started racing, and I didn't know how to respond. I just made a small squeaking noise.

   His eyes went wide, and he backed up, removing his hand from my face. "Oh, God, I shouldn't have said anything. Now, it's--"

    "That was my first kiss." I said, staring at him. "And it was from a boy who actually likes me."

   "What..?" He looked at me, confused.

   I shook my head. "What do you mean, what?"

   "How is that your first kiss?" He asked. "A pretty girl like you? It's not a huge honor getting a kiss from a slobbery boy like me."

    "You're not slobbery," I smiled. "I think you're cute."

    I felt myself go red as he smirked and raised an eyebrow. "I'm.. cute?"

    I covered my face with my hands, groaning.

    "Yes!" He chanted, raising his fist. "I'm cute!"

    "Shut up!" I laughed, removing my hands and punching him in the shoulder lightly.  "You're such an idiot."

   "A cute idiot." He looked at me, smiling.

    "Okay, okay. Fine." I pushed my hair behind my ears. "You're a cute idiot."

   "So.." He said, biting his lip. "What does that mean?"

   "What does what mean?" I said, trying to act obvious. He shook his head and smiled.

    "You know."

    "I think that it means that I think I like you, too."

   "Good." He quickly leaned over me and crashed his lips onto mine. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing back.

   He bit my bottom lip, making my gasp slightly. He slid his tongue in and pulled me closed to him, smiling.

   I sat on his lap, feeling like the happiest person in the world.

   Is this what it felt like to be liked?

   Wow. It was pretty amazing.