Chapter 40

Desiree

Wedding Day

I paced back and forth while my mom stood there watching me. I'm not sure I want to do this anymore. I just wanna go home.

"Baby calm down. Everything will be fine," Mom assured me.

Busta was sitting down with her leg propped up on the table. "You'll start wearing Jordan's sooner or later," she mumbled,

"What? Nigga ain't nobody talking about Jordan's," Mom snapped.

"You look beautiful," Busta stood up and approached me. "You kind of look like your mom,"

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Busta, could you go get me some food please?" I asked,

"Yeah," she said.

Mom looked at me with a raised eyebrow, "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to do this anymore, I thought I did.. But now I don't,"

"It's completely normal to feel this way baby. You'll feel better as time passes," she assured me.

"I need to take a piss," I mumbled while walking towards the door. I bumped into something, I almost fell. I looked up and found myself lost in Mani's eyes.

Just like she told me, she wasn't sober. Her eyes were red and low. "Damn..." she scratched the back of her neck and took a step back. "You look good," she said.

I blushed at her compliment, "I didn't think you would really show up," I said,

"I wasn't going to.. But you told me you needed me here, so.. Here I am," she smiled.

"Where were you headed?" she asked,

"To the restroom, but I'm coo now," I said,

Mani smiled before running her hand over her face. I looked at her, she was in a all black tux with gold accessories.

The buttons on her jacket were unbuttoned. "Mani, button those up," I said,

"I was trying to, but I'm high as shit and it just wasn't working out," she said,

I laughed before tending to her jacket. While I was buttoning it up, I could feel her eyes on me. "Why are you looking at me?"

"It's nothing," she said, I looked up to see her smirking.

For a while, we stood there looking in each others eyes. "Yo," I jumped at the sound of Busta's voice.

"You ready?" Busta asked me,

"Give me just a minute," I said. Busta nodded before walking away.

"Mani I--"

"Lemme talk first," she cut me off. "You were ready to take a 10 year bid for me, nobody has ever been there for me the way you have. The way I treated you was so wrong, I know.. I didn't want to let you go, but now I understand that Brennan can treat you better than I ever have. So, I think you should do this,"

"You pronounced her name right," I said while looking down.

She lifted my chin, forcing me to look in her eyes. I didn't want her to see the tear that was about to fall. "Why are you crying? You're about to marry the woman of your dreams," she said,

"Aight, I gave you a minute, come on," Busta grabbed my hand and pulled me away from Mani.

As we walked up the aisle, I couldn't think of anything but Mani. I pushed her to the back of my mind and focused on Brennan. She was smiling at me, and I couldn't help but to smile back.

I never seemed to pay attention to the ceremony but when I heard Brennan say 'I do', reality finally hit.

My heart began racing. I looked at my mom, who had Sierre in her arms. Then, my eyes drifted further back to where Mani was. I looked at Brennan, then Mani.

Brennan cleared her throat, gaining my attention again. But, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't take my eyes off Mani.

As if she couldn't take it anymore, Mani got up and left.

I looked at Brennan, as a tear escaped my eyes. "I want to do this so bad, but I can't.. I'm still in love with Mani,"