Chapter 18

Armani

I had just finished my 3rd bottle of Hennessey when I got a call from a unknown number.

I was hoping it was Desiree, but I knew it wasn't. She stopped talking to me, I would've too but I miss her. She can't just up and leave because of something that happened years ago.

"Mani" A woman said, it sounded like she was crying.

"Who's this?" I asked,

"Zaria," she said,

"Oh wassup, how's Zion?" I asked her,

She sniffles, "I don't know, she ran away and I can't find her. I was hoping she was there with you,"

"Nah, she's not here. Just give me a couple minutes and I'll help you look for her," I said,

"I'll text you the address," she said before hanging up.

I slipped my Jordan's on and grabbed my pistol and car keys.

*

I got to her house, hoping she had found her by now but when I saw all the police cars I knew something happened.

The closer I got to her porch, the clearer I could hear her sobbing.

I opened the door and looked at all the cops in the room along with Zion's lifeless body, in Zaria's arms.

"Take her to the hospital, what the fuck y'all standing there for?" I barked,

Nobody moved, "She's dead," one of the officers said.

"What happened? How did this shit happen?" I said,

Other officers were trying to pry Zaria off of Zion while the chubby white officer stayed to talk to me.

"Ms. Zaria, is on drugs. She was high when Zion was in her room playing with a loaded gun. The bullet went straight through her brain, there was nothing we could do. Unfortunately, Ms. Zaria will have to be placed behind bars for drug trafficking,"

I stood there, processing everything he just told me.

Zion's dead, after she begged me not to let her go. This is my fault, I should've listened, I should've done something about this.

........

I sighed and took another swallow of the vodka in front of me. I laid on my bed as the tears streamed down my face. I placed the blunt to my lips and inhaled before letting the smoke escape through my nose. Then I picked the bottle of vodka up and took another swallow.

I need time to myself, so I turned my phone off, grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

*

Desiree

"When are you gonna talk to her?" Tammy asked,

"I don't know," I said, laying my head on her shoulder.

"I don't know why you're mad. This was something that happened long before you, something she had no control over," She said,

"She was in love with her. I'm not mad, I'm just jealous," I admitted.

"Why?" she asked,

"Because if she was alive Mani would be with her. All the things Mani does with me, all the feelings I get when she touches me, she would be the one experiencing it. Not me. Mani wouldn't even know I existed," I explained.

"But she's with you now.. Y'all are about to get married. Just talk it over with her," Tammy said.

"We're not getting married anymore, I took the ring off and threw it at her," I said,

I began crying, thinking of everything that went down that night.

"I was being such a bitch, you should have seen her face, she looked so hurt. She even cried," I said,

"It's okay," Tammy whispered while holding me,

"All the things I said, what if she doesn't forgive me?" I cried,

"Baby it's okay.. Just go to sleep, we'll talk in the morning.