Chapter 41

Megan's pov

Back to the beach that I came to around a year ago. I looked out across the sand and to the sea where the most relaxing sounds where coming from. I sighed in defeat. I felt like I had been shattered by the world. I felt like the world was tearing me apart. I looked around at the children playing on the sand and their families sitting close by. To say they all looked happy, was an understatement. But, underneath their smiles, there could be very different emotions.

I got off the bench and walked to the little shop across the road from the beach. I went inside and got a bottle of water. It was getting very hot and I was beginning to feel thirsty. I also got a sandwich as I hadn't had any lunch. I walked back to the beach and sat down, opening my sandwich and beginning to eat it. I stood up and walked to the bin so I could put my wrapper inside but when I turned back I saw the very person I did not want to see.

I froze

"I had a feeling I would find you here," he said, not even looking at me.

"Why are you here, Calum?" I mumbled.

"To understand," he replied.

"To understand what?" I questioned.

"Everything.. I just want to know everything. Why did you cancel that appointment? Why aren't you telling me things and what has been wrong with you lately?" He explained.

"There's nothing wrong with me," I whispered, so he could barely hear me.

"Megan, don't even say that. I'm here to help you! Stop pushing me away," he said. I slowly nodded and sat down next to him.

"Ok..." I sighed.

"Why did you cancel then?" He questioned.

"That night, after the investigation, I put Emma to bed and locked everything up before going to bed myself. I fell asleep and that was the first time. The first time I had a nightmare," I began.

"Wait they have been happening for over 2 months?" He asked.

"Yeah..." I replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He questioned.

"I was scared.." I whispered.

"What happened in the nightmare?" He asked.

"I was alone, in darkness. Except there was this voice. It started to talk to me. Then it was silent for about 10 seconds until I heard a baby crying. Almost immediately, I recognized it to be Emma's cries and I panicked. I started shouting to get off her and to leave her alone and then it said to say goodbye to to your princess. The screams got louder and louder. I woke up shouting Emma and I was shaking, crying and sweating. I burst straight into her room and she woke up and began to cry. I was so happy to see her there and I realized that it was a nightmare. It began to happen every night. I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep either. I'd get this voice in my head that would tell me awful things. I got really tired and I looked it too. I decided to stay inside. I knew the paparazzi would follow me and I didn't want pictures of me looking like that on the Internet. As it got closer to the time of you coming home, they became less frequent and I thought everything was going to be okay. To be honest, whilst you were gone, all I ever did was make sure Emma was okay. I just wanted her to be happy. I didn't even care about myself. I thought when you came home it would stop but last night was one of the worst ones," I explained.

"Why was it the worst?" He asked.

"Um.. You were there," I answered.

"What did I do?" He questioned.

"You left, again. Everything went wrong. Emma was abandoned and I was alone. But you came back. I thought everything would be ok, again. It wasn't. You came back with another girl. You moved out and left me. It was-" I explained but he cut me off.

"Stop, Megan!" He said, quickly.

I stopped talking and watched him.

"I don't want to hear anymore!" He added.

"Okay..." I whispered.

"Last night, you were scared of me. Weren't you?" He questioned.

"I don't know.." I replied.

"You were scared of me Megan. You moved away from me when I tried to comfort you," he said.

"I'm sorry.." I replied.

"What the hell Megan! You can't be scared of me!" He said, angrily.

"Calum, you don't understand! The nightmares, they are all so real. They fuck up your mind and you can't tell what's real and what's not!" I explained.

"Okay, okay. I understand. You know I would never do that, right?" He questioned.

"Leave?" I questioned.

"You told me to do that, but I'm back! And so far I've not been able to spend anytime with you! I fucking miss you. I just want my happy Megan back," he said.

"I know, I'm sorry. It's hard..." I replied.

"Alright, it's okay. I'll help you through it. Please let me help you," he said.

"I will but first, we have to do something!" I said.

"What?" He questioned.

"Let's go to the station and find out who broke in," I said.

He smiled.

"Yes, I'll take us there, but first give us a hug," he said.

I leaned into him and wrapped my arms around his waist. I have missed being in his arms like this.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I smiled.

He drove us down to the station and we went to the inspector.

"I'd like to know if you got any information on who broke in to my house," I explained.

"I thought you cancelled the investigation?" He questioned.

"I did but I'd like to reopen it," I said.

"Okay, well I did get some DNA results from our testings," he said.

"Okay, well who was it?" Calum said.

"On the ladder we found DNA from Calum Hood, Megan May and Daniel Jones. On the child's bedroom window there was DNA from Megan May and Daniel Jones. On the kitchen window there was DNA from Katie May," he said.

"No, that can't be right!" I said.

"That's your mum, isn't it?" Calum said.

"Yeah, she can't have done this though," I said.

"You don't know that Megan," he replied.

"Do you know who Daniel Jones is?" The inspector asked.

"I think he was the guy my mum was with the other day," I explained.

"Okay, we shall go and get them in for questioning," the inspector said.

My mum cannot of done this. Why would she break in to my house? What does she want?