Chapter 36

Megan's pov

Screams. All I can hear is screams. They fill my head and I have no escape. I try to cover my ears but it's no use. It makes it worse. It traps it all inside of me, making tears fall down my face.

"Please, leave!" I cried, trying anything I could to leave the screams.

"PLEASE!" I screamed.

I looked at the darkness that flooded my eyes when I saw a light in the distance.

"Hello?" I called out.

Silence.

I slowly crawled towards the light until I could see a figure. I stared at it for a while, to see if it would move.

"Megan?" I heard a very familiar voice say.

"Calum!" I shouted and used all the energy I had left to run towards him. As I came closer to him, the figure became clearer and clearer, only it wasn't Calum that was there. I became confused as the figure changed into someone I didn't recognise.

"Hi Megan.." They said.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I asked, stopping.

"I'm the reason the screams are inside of your head. I'm the reason for your nightmares!" They laughed.

"What do you want from me?" I cried, falling to the fall.

"I don't want anything from you. But I do want something. Megan. I want to see you break, right in front of me. I want to see you fall apart, whilst you're all alone. I want to see you shatter into a million pieces," they explained.

"Why? What did I do?" I asked.

"You lied.. You've lied about a lot of things and now you're terrified and it's my job to make sure you continue to be terrified and the best place to do that is when your asleep.." He whispered.

"Please, leave me alone!" I shouted.

Light suddenly came into my eyes and I was finally awake. I was somehow on the floor in a ball. I had sweat on my forehead and my cheeks were wet. I was shaking. What the hell was going on with me?
Maybe I was breaking. Maybe I was being shattered.

I controlled my shaking and climbed off the floor and back into bed. These nightmares have been happening for about two months now and I haven't told anyone. I'm to scared to say anything. I keep Emma in my room every night. I always end up not sleeping or having these nightmares.

I also cancelled the investigation about someone breaking in to my house as that's when the nightmares started so I thought if I cancelled that then they may stop but I was wrong. I told Mia that they had found the two people and they weren't anyone that I knew.

Tired was an understatement of how I feel right now. I haven't slept properly in two months. Emma doesn't wake up often anymore which is good but she does wake up if I scream in the night, which happens sometimes.

Calum has two months left of his tour and then he shall come home. Hopefully when he comes home, everything will be okay again. Everything will be normal. That's because I won't be scared anymore. Because I shall have Calum. The person I need to keep me happy.

But he's also the reason you're going insane...

Shut up! I also get these weird little voices sometimes but not often, normally if I doubt myself.

I could never tell Calum or anyone else what's been happening whilst he's been gone. He'd worry. A lot. I'd rather just keep it to myself because everything will be okay when he comes home.

You hope..

Ugh. I picked up my phone and I had received a message from Calum.

'Calum: See you in six weeks! I miss you! X'

'Me: Can't wait! Miss you too! X'

I out my phone down and took Emma downstairs, where I fed her breakfast. As I made my own breakfast I noticed my reflection in the mirror. I stopped and stared for a while. What the fuck? I look like actual shit. My face is pale. My eyes are red and have bags underneath. Everything looks sore and now I think about it everything is sore.

You're shattering..

"Shut up!" I shouted, out loud even though I knew it was just inside my head.

I groaned and ate my breakfast. Not even make up could hide what I look like right now.

During these past two months, I've hardly spoken to anyone. I've stayed in the house as much as possible and only gone out if it was necessary. Whenever Mia or Calum's Mum want to make plans with me, I always come up with some excuse to not be able to come and it's been working so far, thank goodness. They would probably freak out if they saw me looking like this.

I wanted to sleep but I couldn't. Every time I would try, something bad would happen. I always have a nightmare. Or I just don't sleep. It's awful. I feel so useless and I have no energy left inside of me. To be honest, I feel sorry for Emma too. I had planned to do all these amazing things with Emma now that she's a lot bigger but I just don't have the energy and I can't go out like this. Especially not when people follow me all the time. Calum was bound to find out if I started going out like this. There would e pictures everywhere.

Then the whole world would see me shatter..

The whole world wants to see you shatter!!