The Curtain Rises

Start from the beginning

Of course, he called me over FaceTime. I wiped the tears away and tried to hide I had been crying, with the great idea of standing the phone as far out from my face as I could.

I accepted the FaceTime and rushed sat in the chair.

"Hi." I said smiling and trying to sound upbeat. "It's good to see your awake."

"I am awake. But I don't know if you can see me, you're so far from the phone I can barely see you."

"Oh, well I-I ah" I couldn't think of a good excuse to have the phone where it was.

"Penz, have you been crying?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Yea" I said, feeling ashamed.

"Please hold the phone like normal, so I can see you." I picked up the phone and held it as I normally would. "There's the blue eyes that I love." He said smiling. My heart melted as it did that first day.

"I'm sorry, with the day you've had the last thing you need is to deal with a weepy wife. How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling much better. I just wish that I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to come home." I could tell he really meant it.

"I wish you hadn't either. It's my fault, I shouldn't have pressured you and made you feel guilty."

"It's not your fault. I drank too much and said terrible things to you and I hope you'll forgive me. I didn't mean what I said." His apology was sincere.

"Of course, I forgive you. I didn't mean the terrible things I said. I know you would be here if you could. Can you forgive me?"

"Yes baby, I love you. Let's put all this behind us and move on."

"I love you and I would like that. Will you tell me what happened when you passed out? Are you sure you don't need to go to the hospital?" I was truly concerned, but I also wondered why Gwyn was there when it happened.

"It was just a bad headache. I am fine now."

"If you say so. Gwyn seemed to think you'd be okay." I know a bit of resentment was evident in my voice.

Brian's POV

"Penelope, she was here when I passed out because she found out I was leaving."

"Why would she come to your suite because she heard you were leaving?" Penny asked.

I didn't want to tell Penny that Gwyn was who had encouraged me to confront her about Adam. I could tell she was already upset about Gwyn being here.

"She offered to ride with me to the airport and she wanted send her love to you."

"Right" Penny said under her breath. I felt it best to shift the conversation and I was still curious.

"I do have a question about Gwyn. Have you read her books?"

"Yes, I have read them. They are good, but sometimes a little too dark for my taste." She still seemed perturbed.

"What do you mean by dark?"

"I'm not sure dark is the right word. They both had a love triangle with one of the people obsessed with another."

"Is the triangle always two men and a woman or vice versa?" I'm not sure how it mattered, but I felt like I had to ask.

"They were opposite of each other. Why do you ask?" She asked.

"I was just wondering what her books were like, since being on the tour is part of her research for the next one." I felt it best not to tell her what I overheard.