Chapter Fourty : "Calm Before The Storm"

That night after almost everyone left Charleston , we all gathered up on the newly built green tent right outside the building to formulate the plan for the attack against Karen and the rest of the Esphemi forces.

 Dad and Col. Weaver told us about the whole "diversion" plan, it's basically making a smaller group and making it as a diversion on a different location so that the main one will be able to attack using the Volm Weapon.

 It's kind of tricky but great since the attack will take place from the ocean and it's up tous, humans to take down the grid that they put up in order to prevent Volm reinforcements from entering. About two hours later , the meeting adjourned and we were asked to take some rest because tomorrow will obviously be a long day.

 "Ben .. are you nervous?" Deni asked while we're walking back to the skitter camp. "I'd lie if I say I'm not, But I'm also excited and pumped up. You?"

 "Yes ... I haven't completed the process yet .. what if what I know is not enough? What if I die?"

 "You're not gonna die Deni. I'll make sure of that" I said and then held her hands.

 "Ben .. promise me , During the battle tomorrow , we'll face Karen together okay?"

 "I promise" I said and then kissed her.

 "Ben! Deni!" Harry called out and then we ran towards the camp. This time , Arion will be the one telling us the plan of the rebel skitters.

======================================================

Matt's P.O.V

 I was standing in front of the liberty tree , looking at all the names of those people who died ... my heart hurts for them. "Hey" I turned around and saw Hal walking towards me. "How are you?" he asked.

 "I'm good" I said to him.

 "No you're not .. come on tell me what happened"

 "I miss Mom" I said and then he just smiled and said "We all do, Matt". Hal then walked to the tree and put in Maggie's bracelet with her name on it. "Are you okay now?" I asked him. "Not yet. But this is the first step to be" he replied and then walked away from me.

 I looked at Maggie's bracelet , her death hasn't sink in on me yet .. she's a strong woman. It's quite hard to accept the fact that she's gone. I wish Hal all the strength in the world in order to be able to move on.

============================================================

Tom's P.O.V

 "Are you sure it's gonna work?" I turned around and saw Dan entered the tent. "I don't know. But I have a good feeling it will" I said.

 "Why'd you say so?"

 "Because it's all we have. And we lost too much. Cochise .. the guy who helped us for the past 10 months is up on his camp with Tector and Dr. Kadar trying to figure out how to make the weapon work. He lost all of his comrades , if we fail this .. he'll also die" I said and then grabbed a bottle of Scotch.

 "Scotch?"

 "You know I wouldn't say no to that" he said and so I brought out 2 shot glasses. Tomorrow will be the day I'm waiting for .. I'll get Lexi back .... and I'll kill Karen.

======================================================

 Arion told us that they'll wait for us on our way back right after we took down that tower. They'll be located on the forest right at the Charleston Harbor. Which is great since they wouldn't be able to go to the water anyway and Cochise told use that they have city-sized ships .. everything will be crushed under it once they land.

 "So where are we gonna be? With your father? Or with them?" Deni then asked right after everyone went to get some rest.

 "I'm going with them ,.. if you wanna stay here with the others , that's okay" I said and then she smiled. "Fine , I'll just wait here" she said and then I kissed her goodnight and went out of the camp.

 "Ben!!" Matt called out as soon as I got back to the old camp. "Hey Skitter bait , what's going on?" I asked him.

 "Nothing .. I just want your company" he said and so i smiled. Even though Matt won't say it , I know he's terrified about tomorrow.

 I looked on the other side and saw Pope gathering up his minions as they prepare for tomorrow's fight. At least for once, I saw that he's really with us.

=======================================================

Jeanne's P.O.V

 "Hey Dad!" I called out as soon as I saw him walking out. "Hey Baby Bear" he said and then hugged me really tight.

 "Are you alright?" I asked him.

 "Never been better" he said and then smiled at me.

 "Remember our deal? Tomorrow, I'll watch your back and you'll watch mine" I said and then he nodded. "Of course , but if all hell breaks loose .. you get yourself to safety" he told me.

 "Not without you Papa Bear" I said and then he smiled.

 "Your Papa Bear is getting old"

 "So? I still need you" I said as we walked straight to our tent to get some rest.

======================================================

 Several hours have passed and we have to go , it's about 3:00 am which is just right since we're going through the ocean and we have to be there at 7:00 am. Col. Weaver is the head of the decoy group , I looked at Jeanne and saw how worried she is about the safety of her father.

 "Take care alright?" Deni said and then kissed me.

 "I will. I'll see you later" I said and then boarded the boat. Deni stayed behind with Harry and the rest of the rebel skitters. I looked at Dad and he smiled , this attack is crucial .. we need to make it happen or else everything we've been working for will all go to waste.

 "Alright let's move!" Dad shouted and the boat started moving. Matt sat beside me as we look on to the Charleston Harbor that is slowly going further and further from our view ...