Chapter Thirty Eight : "Grid"

The first thing that I saw when I opened my eyes is the bright sun right above our heads. I looked around and saw the massive ruins caused by the explosion. But how did I made it out? The last thing I can remember is collapsing in the artillery room.

 I stood up and saw Deni walking towards me. "Benji!" she screamed and run all the way to my arms and gave me the tightest hug ever. "How are you?" I asked and then smiled at her. "I'm good .. how are YOU?. Can you feel something different?" she asked as we're walking around.

 "Actually .. no , nothing at all. Why?" I said as I'm looking around at all the dead bodies lying on the ground. "You completed the process Ben .. you're a hybrid now" she said and I looked at her. "What?" I asked her.

 "The process on you is complete" she replied.

 "What does that mean?"

 "You're a hybrid now" she said and I just looked at her eyes. I can't believe it's done .. does this mean I'm not human anymore?.

 "Ben!" I turned around and saw Matt calling out to me. Deni and I ran towards him. "How are you?" he asked. "I'm okay" I replied and then asked him about Dad and Hal.

 "They're okay. Hal's physically okay but he's emotionally not"

 "Why? What happened to Maggie?"

 "She's dead" he said and my heart just sunk. It's not her fault that this happened, it's the enemies doing. She's a great fighter and friend .. it's sad to know she's dead because she was used by the Esphemi as the mole.

 "Where's Hal?"

 "Inside that huge tent" he said and then pointed at the huge green tent they set up just beside the liberty trees. "Okay, I'll talk to him" I said to Matt.

 "I'll see you later" Deni said and then walked away from us.

 "I'm coming with you" Matt told me and so we went there to talk to Hal. He must be feeling like hell right now.

=========================================================

Tom's P.O.V

 "What's the death toll?" I asked Dan while we're out in the grounds helping to clean up the mess that was caused by the explosion.

 "42 .. excluding the 23 dead Volms" he said.

"Lots of innocent lives" I said and then sighed.

 "How's Anne?"

 "She's still trying to cope up with the fact that Lexi was kidnapped by the enemy .. and now this" I said and then looked at him. "I think it's time for you to do something Tom. We can't lose more people" he said.

 "So what do you suggest?"

 "I think it's time to dissolve this camp"

 "Okay" I said and then walked away. I have to get the microphone and start what could be .. our final public meeting.

=======================================================

Hal's P.O.V

 Why did you leave me? You could have told me something was wrong. I can't believe Maggie's dead. What have I done wrong to have everyone that I love taken away from me. First, Mom ... then Karen .. and now Maggie.

 "Hal?" I looked at the door and saw Ben and Matt.

 "What?" I asked them.

 "How are you feeling?" Ben asked.

 "I don't know"

 "I'm sorry. I should have kept my eye on her. I noticed something wrong but I was too caught up in doing something else" he said.

 "It's okay. It's not like you could have taken it out of her anyway"

 "At least , this wouldn't have happened"

 "Stop blaming yourself for everything Ben!. It's not your fault" I said and he didn't replied anything afterwards.

 "Hal .. if you need anything or someone to talk to .. we're here" Matt said and they both walked out of the tent.

=========================================================

Anne's P.O.V

 "Anne?" I turned around and saw Lourdes. I walked to her and gave her a tight hug. "I miss you" I said and then smiled at her.

 "Same .. how's Lexi?" she asked.

 "They took her"

 "What?"

 "Karen has her" I said.

 "Oh God .. "

 "I know" I replied and then looked out of the tent and saw Tom walking towards the stage. "I'm sorry I wasn't here when it happened" Lourdes suddenly said.

 "No .. I was the one who should apologize. I promise to look after you and I failed" I said and then looked at her.

 "Alright citizen of Charleston. Gather up here" I can hear Tom say through the microphone. Lourdes and I walked out to know what he's about to say.

=======================================================

 I looked at Dad and felt that his announcement is something that we wouldn't be happy with. Deni walked to my side and held my hand as we're listening to what could be our next battle plan.

 "We took another hit from the enemy .. no one could've seen it coming. They used a mole to penetrate us and kill us from the inside. I think you deserve to know who the mole is , it's Maggie. But she's dead now .. she was only used by the enemy, she has no fault. Last night, I lost a couple of friends. One of them is Dr. Marina Peralta who's been a big help being my right.

 And in light of recent events. I'm asking all of you that if you still want to stay here and continue the fight you're more than welcome. But if you wanna get out , the doors will be open for you and don't worry if any of you would wanna leave , you'll get enough food supplies and weapons to help you for a couple of days.

 Those of you who would want to leave. Please approach me after this. And for those of you who would want to stay , I can't promise a victory after but please know that you're fighting for our planet .. you're fighting for our freedom. That's all"  Dad said.

 "We're staying right?" Deni asked.

 "Of course we are" I said. Suddenly, streaks of neon lights flew across the skies. The people around us scattered .. thinking it's another attack. I looked at Dad and saw how worried he is.

 "The grid is up" I said and then looked at Deni , who gripped my hand tighter.