Chapter Thirty Four : "Father and Son"

Two days have passed since my return and everything else is slowly going back to normal , or at least how I think normal is. I was up in our usual spot on the top of the diner building , looking at the camp below.

 "Hey Benji" I turned around and saw Deni standing behind me. "Hi" I said and then she handed me a chocolate bar.

 "This happened before" I said and then she laughed. "Nice to be back huh?" she said and then sat beside me. "Yeah. But it isn't over .. it's far from over" I told her and then she nodded.

 "I know. Actually, I heard the Volm weapon is '90%' complete" she said and then ate chocolates , bits of it are stuck between her teeth. I can't help but laugh at her , I don't know if she's doing it on purpose or not.

 "So how are you?" I asked and then pulled her closer to me.

 "I'm good, actually I can't wait to get back to the field"

 "Don't worry Deni, I have a feeling we will very soon .." I said and then smiled at her.  "But for now, all I wanna do is cuddle here with you" she said and then hugged me really tight. "I don't have a problem with that" I said and then kissed her.

 "Hey Suckerfish!" Matt called out.

 "What?"

 "Dad wants to talk to you"

 "Okay" I said and then looked at Deni , "It's okay" she said so I jumped down from the building and walked inside with Matt.

 "You two are so sweet" Matt said while we're walking to Dad's office.

 "I know" I said and smiled at him.

 "Hey Dad" I said as soon as we got to the office. "How are you feeling Ben?" he asked me after I sat down on one of the chairs.

 "I'm alright"

 "You don't have to lie to me Ben, I already talked to Arion. He said the process will speed up once you get harnessed twice"

 "I know ..but I swear I feel alright"

 "Okay .. I trust you enough" he then said. The truth is he's right , the change is happening faster than usual. And it scares me because I don't want to turn into something else. I've been trying to hold on to my humanity but whatever it is that's happening takes the toll on all of that.

 "Thanks. Is that all?" I asked him.

 "Actually no, If you can do it , I'd like you to patch things up with your brother"

 "Matt and I are okay"

 "Not Matt .. Hal. I know you two are okay but you also went to a rough patch and I know your relationship is quite damaged"

 "That's how our relationship works"

 "Ben, I want the two of you to have the smoothest relationship as possible. We're heading for a war Ben, please know that"

 "I know" I told him and then Matt came out of the room since we probably bored him to death. "And Ben, I also want you to look after Anne and Lexi" he then said afterwards.

 "Why? What happened to them?"

 "Anne thinks something's wrong with your sister"

 "You're speaking like you're going somewhere else. Dad are you leaving?" I asked him and then he got up and started walking around the room.

 "I might Ben. Once the war started , I want all of you to stick together. I'm going straight to Karen"

 "Then let me come with you"

 "No Ben. This fight is between me and her"

 "It's between her and all of us"

 "Just listen to me Ben. I want you to be the best you can be , even if that means leaving you with your brothers"

 "Dad, you're not gonna give .. you know that"

 "I know .. but you can never tell". After a few minutes, he told me to leave the room. I have to know what he's planning , I can't let him die.

 "So what happened?" Deni asked as soon as I got back to her side. "He wants me to basically look after my family" I said.

 "Why? Where's he going?" she then asked.

 "He said once the war happens , he's gonna go straight for Karen"

 "That's suicide Ben"

 "I know, that's why we can't let it happen Deni"

 "So what are we gonna do?"

 "Where the ones who'll go straight to Karen"

 "She'll kill both of us"

 "Not if we kill her first" I said and then looked at her. She held my hand and we watched the skies above, we can both feel the process is already halfway there. I know Deni's scared , I am too. But being scared won't prepare us for the times ahead , the war is coming and it will decide our fate.