Chapter Thirty Two : "Resurface"

What the hell am I doing? I dragged Deni all the way here to get harnessed. As much as I want to protect her from them , my body doesn't let me to. She's sitting on the floor looking straight to my eyes , I can see the immense fear that she feels , I want to say something to her but I can't. All I can do is stand and watch her.

 "You're not gonna get away with this , Karen"

 "And what makes you think that I wont? Look around you , there's no one here to rescue you and your friends. Even Ben is with us now"

 "That's because you harnessed him"

 "I'm sure he would have wanted it anyway. The feeling of being connected ... being powerful. I'm sure you'll love it too"

 "No I won't"

 "You can say what you want to say Deni. I already won , it will only be a matter of time and the whole human race will be under our control. Even the Volms will falter"

 "They won't"

 "Well, let's see then"

Suddenly the door behind me opened and a skitter walked in straight to Karen. It told her something and  afterwards she told me to bring Deni back to her cage as they are going to check on something. I nodded and dragged her out.

 "Ben , I know you're in there" she told me as we're walking. The next thing I know is she pushed me hard against the wall for about 4 times and the harness started malfunctioning.

 "Deni?" I was able to breakthrough.

 "Ben? Oh my God" she said and hugged me really tight. "I missed you so much" I told her and then we kissed for a moment.

 "Come on Ben , let's go" she said and then I nodded and we started finding our way out of the tower. "How exactly are we gonna do this?" I asked her.

 "Their ships are somewhere in here. They went to the other side of the tower right? If that so , we can sneak and leave"

 "I don't know Deni , the harness might take over again"

 "Then we must go ... " she said and then grabbed my hand and we ran towards the ships area. When we got there , I saw skitters working and one ship is open.

 "Stay here" I whispered to her and walked to them. The skitters looked at me, I can't let my spikes glow or else the harness might be activated again. "They want to see all of you in the meeting room. NOW" I said and they looked at each other and then nodded and left. Then Deni tiptoed her way to me.

 "I can't believe that worked" she whispered.

 "Come on , we don't have much time"

 "How about Nick and Jordan?"

 "We'll just return for them"

 "Ben, what if Karen kills them?"

 "They won't. She didn't killed you right?" I said and then we boarded the ship. "Oh Crap" she uttered while looking at all of the buttons.

 "Can we really fly this thing?"

 "I hope so. I said and then started scanning all of the controls"

 "Come on Ben .. let's go"

 "I'm trying" I said and then pushed a green button and the gateway opened and the door of the ship closed. I sat in front of the main controls and trying to find the "Start" button. "Ben , a skitter is coming" Deni said.

 "Okay Okay" I said and just pushed the biggest button that I saw and we started moving. And then we're out of the tower flying in the air. "Is anyone following us?" I asked Deni.

 "Nothing yet" she replied.

 "Good"

================================================================

Deni's P.O.V

 At last we're finally out of the tower and we're going back to Charleston. I didn't removed my eye from the tower even just for one second because beamers might come out any minute and if that happens we're dead.

 Ben might be back , but I'm still worried. As long as has that harness attached to his spine .. we can never be so sure.

 "Why do you think no one is following us?" I asked him.

 "I don't know Deni but I don't have any problem with it" he said.

=============================================================

Karen's P.O.V

 I saw Ben and Deni leave the tower but I can't deal with them right now , we have a major issue with the weapon we're building. We don't have much time now , the battle is just around the corner and it's very crucial that we win this war.

 "They already left" One of the harnessed kid said to me.

 "I know, just let them be. The harness is actually a bomb .. and it is activated. Ben will only live for another 24 hours" I said and then smiled at her.

==========================================================

 We've been flying for hours , and it's actually amazing how I was able to fly it. Intuition? I odn't know. I looked to the built-in map and saw that we're very near to Charleston.

 "Deni .. we're almost home" I said and then she smiled. Suddenly one of the tech boxes malfunctioned and started emitting weird sounds.

 "What's going on?" Deni asked.

 "I don't know .. but we're going down" I said as we're losing altitude. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my back and everything just went black. I can hear Deni calling my name but I completely fell tot he floor.

========================================================

 Deni's P.O.V

 I took over the main control and I was able to hover a ship about 50 feet from the ground. I'm using the back-up power which is almost empty. At least it'll buy us enough time to jump before the ship completely crashes down.

 So I did what I should do , I jumped along with an unconscious Ben. The big branches of the tree served as a cusion for us when we fell. Before we reached the ground , the ship completely lost control and launched itself towards the mountain. We just had a close brush with death.

 "Deni?? Ben??" someone called out. I looked around and saw Harry running towards us , I felt blood dripping from my head and everything went black.