Heartbreak Coverup

Start from the beginning

"Sure, yeah," Eli bit his tongue. He wanted to cheer or at start asking questions.

"Thanks. I can't play guitar but I can play piano so I might as well start there. Also I called my trainer and he's going to work with us at 10 every day so can you get that in my schedule?"

"Yes, of course but...us?"

"Yeah, I'm so not working out alone," Maddox laughed. "Besides, I definitely noticed you put on some muscle since the last time I saw you so don't even pretend you're not interested."

"Ah, uh, okay," Eli figured he could wait until morning to admit he'd never worked out in his life.

"Thanks. What time are you getting here today? I missed you yesterday."

"Just let me shower and then I'll be over."

Eli decided not to point out that he hadn't seen Maddox in a week. He focused instead on the fact that Maddox missed him. At least until his heart started jumping around at the thought. That didn't mean what he wanted it to mean. Right?

By the time he got to the Bieber house, Maddox was already at the piano and completely wrapped up in the music. He didn't notice Eli until Scarlett went running into the room and tried to climb on the bench with him.

"Hey princess," Maddox hoisted her up to sit next to him. "What do you think?"

"Scarlett? Where are you?"

"In here!" Eli shouted. Maddox looked over his shoulder, nearly killing Eli with his smile.

"I wondered if you were ever gonna get here."

"It only took me 45 minutes."

"I needed you like 3 hours ago," Maddox patted the bench, as if he wanted Eli to sit next to him. "I've got like tiny little pieces of a song and it just won't gel."

Eli sat down, wondering exactly what Maddox expected him to do. A journal like the one Maddox showed Eli once before was open in front of him, notes scrawled in all directions. Seeing Maddox's handwriting broke Eli's heart. It looked like a child's, as if he'd had to fight to write every word.

"I wish you played guitar. Okay, so I think it goes..." Maddox started playing again.

Eli didn't really know what to think or what he was listening to. It was pretty, but he couldn't tell where it was going. There wasn't much to it at first, then Maddox started to sing. He had two lines but they didn't seem to connect. Dax stopped playing after a few minutes and looked over his shoulder at the door.

"It's beautiful, I really like it," Clara was hovering there, Aiden on her hip. Aiden was fighting to be put down.

"It's not done, go away."

"You let Eli listen!"

"I trust Eli," Maddox kissed the top of Scarlett's head and set her down. "Go get Mama."

Scarlett let out a string of gibberish words and turned to Eli, holding her arms up. She clearly was not happy to be off Maddox's lap.

"Come on, Dax and Eli are busy," Clara came to get Scarlett. "Consider yourself very lucky, Eli. No one's ever allowed to be around while Dax is writing."

"He trusts me," Eli bragged. For some reason Dax elbowed him in the chest. "Was that supposed to hurt? It almost did."

"Jackass," Maddox flipped a page in his notebook. "Mom, when is Dad gonna be home?"

"Your guess is as good as mine. I can't imagine what he's doing."

"I'll text him again," Maddox pulled his phone out of his pocket.