Chapter Forty-seven

He sat on the dirt, he stared at the ground. He hated him, he hated him so much. His back still stung from where he was stricked by his father's stick. It was still sticky with his blood. He hated him, but he wasn't going to stop protecting Ju. "Delun?" A soft voice said from in front of him. He didn't look up, he knew it was her. "He hurt ypu again. Didn't he?"

"It's nothing I can't handle, Ju." His voice was brave, a bravery that hid his fear and anger. "Don't worry about it, Ju."

Small arms wrapped around his shoulders and he cried out in pain. "I'm sorry, Delun." She wept on his shoulder.

"Don't worry, Ju." He said between clenched teeth. "It's alright."

"You got hurt protecting me," she sniffled. He closed his eyes, she didn't understand that he would always protect her. Always.

He lifted her up from the bed. "Delun." She wrapped her arms around his neck.

"It's alright." Delun felt relieved when Ju picked up Mayleen and relieved when his wife and daughter was alright. He was angry with himself, he let his gaurd down and they were attacked.

Her head laid softly against Delun's shoulder, a soft weight one that he found comforting. She coughed softly from the smoke. Ju ran close behind them, holding Mayleen close to her chest. When they had gotten outside it had a chilly tint in the air but the flames from the burning palace put enough heat out but Ai still shivered and Delun didn't know if it was from the fear or from the cold. "I'm so sorry Ai. I'm so sorry."He buried his face in her hair when he stopped running. "I'm so sorry."

"Delun," she laid her hand on his shoulder. She looked at him, studying his face. Then worry sat in. "Where is he?" She asked quietly. He craned his neck searching for Chao, but he found thatbChao had found him.

Ju stood close behind Delun, watching the crowd. "Chao." He called and motioned him to follow them. He sat Ai on the dirt under a tree, in a place were there was no snow. Ju gave Ai Mayleen, frowning Chao gave them their son. Confused Ai looked at Delun, but said nothing. Ju was confused as well until she saw her brother take his tunic off and laid it on top of Ai. Ju looked away from him, she couldn't look at his scars on his back. "Stay with Ai." Delun ordered Ju.

"What about me?" Chao asked and Delun glared at him.

"Delun, where are you going?" Ai asked him. Delun licked his bottom lip as he kneeled in front of her.

"I'm going to help put ot the flames. Its safer here for you." Delun kissed her on the cheek then on both of their children's foreheads. "Ju, stay. Chao follow." He ordered. He wanted to make sure they were safe, he wanted them to be warm and his tunic was what all that he had to offer them currently. He helped pass buckets filled with water. They worked until their hands were rough and their backs were sore, but they still lost half of the palace. When the last flame went out, which to Delun seemed like forever, Delun couldn't look at the water but only stare at what was left of the palace. And a new wave of anger washed over him.