Chapter Six

Ai never been accompany by so much silence in a evening meal so much since she came to the palace. She understood it would be quite when she ate alone, but never had she imagined it would with the emperor. At home she would listen to her father's stories, and listen to mother's tales of her trips to the markets.

Delun sat silent, seemed as if he was spacing out. His chopsticks full of rice posed half way from his mouth. "My lord." She said and he didn't pay attention. "My lord." She sighed he seemed as if he was in another world. She saw a stray piece of rice on his lip, and like a mother with her child, she swiped it off with her thumb. He jerked his head to her. "There."

"Ai? Is something wrong?" He looked puzzled.

"I was wondering if I could tale leave. I'm finished." Delun looked at her bowl which was barely touched.

"No, not this time." She tried not to complain. She didn't like the silence. "Is it not to your liking?"

"No, of course not." It is you who is not to my liking, she didn't dare say that aloud. "It is I'm tired." She lied. She was wide awake, she just didn't want to be in the same room as him much longer.

Delun arched an eyebrow. "It is I that you don't like, isn't it?" She blushed. "Of course you would be." He sighed heavily. "You don't know when the wedding is planned." Neither does Delun, he had completely forgot about the wedding and Ai. "I been quite busy Ai." She listened even though she did not like Delun. "Eat." He tapped her bowl.

"I am not hungry, my lord." He sent her a look making her become submissive to his gaze. She ate slowly, not making eye contact with him. She ate little at a time from a bowl that she knew she could never finish.

"Have dinner with me tomorrow night as well." He gave her a soft smile.

"Alright." She returned it. She didn't want to do this again, but like the marriage, she saw no way out.

She realized that Delun wasn't near like the rumors had said he was. She couldn't see it, unless of course they were talking about his angry. "Is something wrong?" She blushed not realizing that she had been staring at him.

"I want to go out," she looked away. She wanted to see her parents.

"Not today, Ai." She meet his gaze, in his dark eyes she saw different emotions mixing in there dark brown. Ones that she didn't know. "Perhaps tomorrow." He patted her hand that layed on the table. "Finish eating! You eat like a bird."

"I'm finished." This time it wasn't a lie. He sighed and took her remaining rice. She looked at the paintings in one of his personal rooms. It was simple, different from the rest of the palace. She liked it. Delun noticed she was staring at the paintings but said nothing to her, he just watched as he finished hers and his meal.