Chapter Nineteen

Ai was at lost for words. No one has ever told her that they had loved her before.

Delun didn't expect her to answer. And he prayed to the Gods his feelings were right and he didn't just himself look foolish. "You don't have to reply to me, Ai." He straightened, it's not the first time he had fallen in love. First was heart wrenching when she did not return his feelings. If Ai didn't love Delun, he rather not know. Delun watched her face, he studied it.

"My lord," Ai started. "I don't know you well enough to love you." Delun felt rejected, he wanted to curl up into a little ball and just die. "I am not saying that I can't." Ai said quickly. He confused her, normal people when they were told that they were hated by someone, they would go for claim their love to that person. But then again Ai doesn't know many people outside of her family and her husbands friend and sister.

Delun nodded, his heart felt like it was tightening up. He deserved the rejection, he was an ass. But he was trying to protect what was his. "Ai, I am sorry."

"Don't apologize." She frowned. She rested a hand on his cheek. "You don't have to apologize for what you feel." Ai said softly. Delun wanted to kiss her, to push her up against the wall and keep her there forever. But that was only what he wanted, he didn't want to do anything she didn't want. "My lord?"

"Yes, Ai." He kept his eyes closed.

"Perhaps, you should change before you get ill. You do have a country to control." She lowered her hand and Ai's warmth went away. Delun opened his eyes and nodded.

"Ai, if anyone tries to harm you, let me know." Delun placed a kiss on top of her head. Her cheeks went bright red. "I will make sure no harm ever comes to you." Her soft smile made his heart flutter.

"Delun," Ai said his name. It was sweet to his ears. He loved her saying his name. "Tomorrow, if you don't mind and, of course, if it is not raining. May we go see the river?" Delun thought for a moment.

"I believe I can escape then." Ai smiled, he returned it and started to walk to his personal chambers. When he walked in he sneezed. "Damn it." He mumbled, shutting the door. He began to strip. On his hip was a scar, a nasty jagged scar. One that was not a clean cut, Delun place a finger on it. It was a reminder of his youth. Of a past he was determined to hide from Ai.