Chapter 83

"Alexandra Salvatore get your ass back down here," Damon yells. I feel his eyes boring holes into my back as I walk up the stairs, ignoring him. "Dammit Alex, listen to me!" He flings his glass of bourbon at my head. It shatters, hitting the wall.

"I'm tired of listening to you! All you've done since you found out about Kai and me is piss and moan about our relationship! Who I choose to date is not your business, damn," I stomp up the stairs and slam my door.
***********************************
It's been a week since Damon's and my argument. He hasn't said a word to me the whole week. Normally I can't get him to shut up for an hour so this is nice.

"Babe, you ok?" Kai asks.

"I'm fine. Just thinking about my moronic brother," I mumble.

"Don't worry about him. He's always like this right? One week he wants nothing to do with you, the next he's all over you like a spider monkey on drugs," he tells me.

"A spider monkey on drugs?" I can't help but laugh. I can't help but fall more and more in love with this man every day.

"Don't ask how I know that," he chuckles and looks at me. "I love you," he tells me, kissing my forehead.

"I love you too," I tell him, smiling. No matter the situation Kai always manages to make me smile.
***********************************

There's yelling and commotion downstairs. I open my eyes groggily.

"Get out, Damon! This is your last warning," Kai's voice is ice cold.

"Are you gonna make me," my brother's voice is just as calloused as Kai's. I quickly pull on shorts and run down the stairs, just in time to see Damon snap Kai's neck.

"No," my voice sounds distant. I nearly trip over myself, running down the stairs. "Damon, why," my voice is brittle.

"Why? He's an asshat who doesn't deserve to have my little sister," he says.

"Get out," I scream, pushing him away from Kai. "Get out! I hate you!" He looks at me like I'm crazy. "Dammit Damon, get out!"
***********************************
It's been a week. I've planned Kai's funeral. His family is coming, but they're not mourning; they just need proof that he's dead. They don't care about him really.

"Can we begin," the preacher asks me. I nod numbly. "Dearly departed, we are here today to celebrate the life of Malachai Parker." I don't even try to contain my crying. It feels like my heart is shattering with every second that passes that Kai lies in that coffin. He should be with me, alive and breathing.

After Kai's funeral I go home. I sit numbly for hours before I realize that Damon is kneeling in front of me.

"I'm so sorry," he mumbles. I look blankly past him. "I didn't know how much you loved him," I stand and walk away from my brother.

Kai's POV

Alex walks away from Damon with a blank look on her face. I reach out to touch her, but she walks right through me. I follow her into our room and see her sitting on the bed. Tears run down her cheeks and she pulls her knees to her chest. My heart breaks seeing her like this. I sit on the bed with her and wrap my arms around her.

For days she hasn't moved out of our bed. She managed to find on of my jackets and she wears it all the time. Her eyes are always puffy and red; her hair a tangled mess. But she looks beautiful nonetheless. I haven't left her side although it pains me not to be able to touch her or tell her I love her. She reaches out to grab a piece of paper and a pen. I watch as she writes a note to Stefan and Damon.

Dear Brothers,

I'm sorry that I wasn't the good little sister you wanted me to be. I thought we were free of all burden after Katherine saved us from Giuseppe, but obviously I was wrong. I'm sorry I didn't give you a proper goodbye, but I knew you would try to talk me out of what I'm about to do. I love you both.

Always,
Alexandra

She opens the curtains, allowing sunlight to fill the room. I realize what she's doing and I'm filled with dread.

"No! Alex stop! Please don't," she can't hear me. She pulls her daylight ring off slowly and I watch helplessly as fire consumes her. She doesn't cry out or thrash, she just stands and lets the fire devour her. I fall to my knees as I watch the love of my life die.

Hours later Stefan knocks on the door. He waits, but then barges in.

"Alexandra," he calls out, looking for his beloved sister. He looks frantically through the house before finding the mess in our bedroom. "No!" He breathes heavily, stumbling toward her note. Once he reads it he crumbles it, throwing the paper across the room. I watch as he trashes the place out of grief. Then he picks up the phone and dials Damon's number. "Damon," his voice breaks.

Soon Damon arrives. The two are reduced to tears that their baby sister, their precious Alexandra had commuted suicide. Damon begins trashing our room, cursing himself for killing me.

"Kai," I hear. Slowly I turn around, she can't be here right? I haven't seen anyone else here since I died. "Kai," Alex jumps into my arms.