Chapter 74

"Daddy," a blood curdling scream sends my heart pounding into my throat. I roll out of bed and run from our room to Kenzie's.

"Are you ok," Kai asks, behind me.

"Daddy," Kenzie cries. Tears run down her cheeks and her face is blotchy. "Daddy there's a monster under my bed," she presses her face into his chest. She shakes and cries.

"Baby, there's not a monster under your bed. I promise. Look," he pulls up the sheets and shows her that there's nothing under the bed.

"Daddy, it has big wellow eyes and long sharp teeth. It was scawy," she mumbles, clutching onto him.

"Well, why don't you sleep with me and mommy tonight," his eyes are wide and he looks to me. I nod and smile so she won't worry. Why is there a hybrid in my house?

"I'll be right back. I'm gonna go down to the kitchen," I tell Kai as he carries Kenzie to our bed.

"You better have a good reason for waking me up this early. I just got Hope to go down," Hayley growls into the phone.

"Do you know of any hybrids living near my house? I mean, I know you don't know of all the hybrids out there-" something smashes into my back and I collapse onto the floor. I get up quickly and see the person trying to get upstairs.

"Stay away from my baby," I scream. Knowing that they're going upstairs toward my family gives me a burst of speed and strength. I throw the assailant to the floor and throw my weight on them, pounding my fists into any body parts I can reach. And then, I'm pinned under them. Their big yellow eyes shine bright before their teeth pierce my neck. I scream and try to fight the man off, but he's too strong.

"Mommy," Kenzie screams upstairs. Suddenly her screams stop and I find the strength to bring my knee up into the mans groin.

"Who else is here," I grab a knife and shove it into his shoulder. He just grins, pulling the knife out of himself.

"This is gonna hurt," he says, appearing in front of me. Something pierces my stomach and I wail. No, no, not my baby.

"Kai," I scream as my vision gets hazy. The last thing I see before everything turns black is Kai running down the stairs and the hybrid holding his head as he falls to his knees. But there's another behind Kai. It reaches into Kai's chest and my husband falls to the floor, heartless.

"No," I scream. And then, the most horrifying thing I've ever heard comes from upstairs. My daughter stops screaming. I hear something bounce down the stairs but my vision is tunneling so I don't see it.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper to my family as a tear trickles down my cheek. Everything slowly fades to blackness as my heart breaks, knowing I failed to protect the people I love.