Chapter 4

"Damon, Damon let go of me! Please don't do this," you look in horror at the Original ready to take away the memories of the man you love. "Klaus, I swear I'll never forgive you if you do this!" Tears pool in your eyes and you struggle against your brother, trying to escape.

"Y/N, be quiet, love," Klaus compels you. No! Don't let him do this! Tears spill onto your cheeks and Klaus almost looks regretful. You look down, trying to postpone the inevitable.

You hear the door open and then you hear an angry Kai. "What are you doing to her," he demands. Stefan slams the shackles onto Kai's wrists. He tries to use his magic to free you, but it's useless. Stefan holds him back as Klaus lifts your face to meet his eyes.

"Y/N, forget everything about your relationship with Kai Parker," Klaus begins.

"No, stop please. Don't do this," Kai cries, realizing what's happening.

"The only thing that you will remember about him is what happened to Bonnie and Damon in the prison world at Kai's hands." You feel your memories slip away before something clicks in your mind. "Now, tell me, love, who is Kai Parker?" Klaus asks.

You wipe the tears from your cheeks. "Kai Parker is a sociopath who caused Bonnie to attempt suicide after he stabbed her in the back- quite literally- and left her alone in the prison world." You look in disgust at the crying man being restrained by Stefan.

"No," Kai whispers. "Tell me this is just a dream," he begs, looking broken-heartedly around the room.

You glare at Kai and stalk over to him. "Stop sniveling you bumbling idiot. Quit your crying and get out." You order, removing the shackles from his wrists. As he reaches out to you, Damon shoves him away and toward the door.

"I'm going to bed," you mumble before you walk upstairs, feeling a sharp pain in your heart. You try to figure out what is causing you to feel like this, but you can't.

You lie awake for hours, unable to sleep. Your brain won't let you sleep and neither will your heart. Something is missing from your life. You feel a ghosting feeling of arms wrapping around your waist and your head pressed against someone's chest. You can almost hear their heartbeat, and that sound, real or not, puts you to sleep.

*************************************

Every day for the past week you have felt worse and worse. Your heart feels like it shatters a little more every time you go to sleep alone. Someone should be there. Something is missing from your life but you can't figure out what it is.

Slowly you walk into the kitchen. Grabbing a blood bag, you dejectedly sip from it. Damon walks into the room looking smug until he sees you.

"What's wrong with you," he asks quietly, looking into your eyes.

"Something- someone is missing. There's this hole in my heart and no one can fill it. Not you, not Stefan, not Elena, Caroline. No one, Damon. Every day I feel worse. And I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with Kai crying in our living room a week ago," you reply. "Tell me why I feel this way, Damon," you have always looked to your big brother for answers.

"I can't tell you why. Because I don't know," he walks out looking sad.

You leave the house, heading to the Mystic Grill. When you see a mop of familiar blonde hair, you breathe a sigh of relief. Matt always tells you the truth. As you approach him, you can slightly see his Carotid artery pumping beneath his skin and you feel yourself dragging him to the back room. Before you realize what're you're doing, Matt has stopped struggling in your arms.

"Oh my god, Matt," you bite into your wrist and feed him your blood, hoping you haven't killed him. Quickly you sling him over your shoulder and go to the hospital. "Someone help me," you scream. On the way you wiped your face, trying to erase evidence. A nurse takes him away and you feel a wave of guilt rush over you. "Oh, God why?" You put your face in your hands and you feel a tear slip down your cheek.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?" You hear Kai ask. Suddenly you stand, flinging your chair into the wall.

"You stay away from me, Kai." you panic. Your heart pounds in your chest and you pant you are so frightened that he'll hurt you. But something about his voice reminds you of what you've been missing this past week. Slowly he steps toward you and raises his hands in a gesture showing you that he won't hurt you.

"I missed you," he whispers quietly, as if you are a mirage that will disappear at any second. "I hate Damon for what he did to you," you stiffen at your brother's name.

"What do you mean? What did he do to me?" You demand, seething.

"He compelled you to forget me, Y/N," he admits, looking at the ground.

"Why should I believe you," you narrow your eyes. He pulls out his phone and shows you pictures. Pictures of you and him hanging out, pictures of you sleeping in a man's room- you're guessing his-, and pictures of you kissing his cheek while he's making a silly face.

"Why would he lie to me? I asked him about it this morning. He said he didn't know why I feel this way," you feel your heart break a little more as you realize that your brother- the one you've looked up to for years- might have lied to you.

"Damon had Klaus compel you to forget the relationship that we had," his voice breaks at the end of his sentence and you see tears in his eyes.

"Kai, don't cry," you feel something stir in your heart. You feel the urge to hug him, so you tentatively wrap your arms around his shuddering torso.

A rushing sensation blurs your sight with memories for a second as you feel his arms wrap around you. You feel yourself crying as you remember everything that you and Kai made it through.

"I remember," he looks up, shocked and smiles a brilliant smile before kissing your tears off of your cheeks.