Chapter 82

"He proposed! He actually proposed," Anna screams into the phone. My heart drops into my gut and I feel the glass in my hand shatter.

"That's so wonderful! I'm so happy for you," she goes on and on and on for what seems like hours about how he popped the question. And all the while I'm staring at the glass sticking out of my hand and thinking about how the physical pain I'm feeling doesn't even come close to the emotional pain.

"I've gotta go. Wish me luck, we're telling my mom and dad," she hangs up the phone and I drop mine on the counter. I pull the glass from my hand, hissing in pain. Everyone always talks about being shot with Cupid's arrow, but no one ever talks about the scarring and the pain when that arrow is pulled out. I put the bloodied glass in the trash and watch as blood fills my palm.

"Oh my gosh! What happened," Fallon asks, walking into the kitchen.

"I uh, cut myself just a little," I mumble quietly. Why do I feel so, hollow? She shakes her head and drags me into the bathroom, grabbing the first aid kit.

"What made you break the glass," she asks as she cleans the cuts on my hands.

"Anna and Kai are engaged," the words are spoken but that voice doesn't sound like mine. She looks up at me with pity filled eyes. I don't want her pity.

"I'm sorry," she says, wrapping gauze around a cloth that will absorb my blood.

"I'm not. I don't know why, but I don't feel anything," I am telling the truth. I feel completely empty.
***********************************
This is it. I've walked down the aisle and am standing in my rightful place as maid of honor when everyone stands and Anna walks down the aisle. Her dress looks perfect for her. She looks like the happiest girl in the world. I'm faking the best smile I can, hoping no one will focus on its authenticity.
***********************************
"Does anyone object to this marriage? Speak now or forever hold your peace," the priest says. I bite the inside of my cheek and grip tightly into the bouquet I was handed earlier. The priest continues and asks Kai if he takes Anna to be his wife. There is indecision in his eyes. They flit between his fiancée and me.

"I-I can't," a collective gasp erupts through the crowd of families. Anna drops his hands and gathers her dress in her hands, running back up the aisle. I follow her quickly, not believing what just happened. A hand grabs my arm and I am nearly jerked off my feet.

"I-I'm so sorry," Kai's voice barely reached my ears before I slap him across the face.

"How dare you," I growl, pulling away from him.

"I love you. It's taken this long to realize it, but I love you," he says. I shake my head, turning away. I have to find Anna.
***********************************
I never found her. I never even saw her again. I've heard rumors that she married some millionaire. But I just hope that she's alright and that she can forgive me for what Kai did.

"Hey babe," he walks into the kitchen and kisses my head.

"Hey," I tell him quietly.

"Stop thinking about Anna. Think about us. And this," he gently rests his hands on my swollen belly. Our baby kicks as if on cue and Kai smiles. I can't believe that I'll be a mom in less than two weeks.

"I love you," Kai kisses me.

"I love me too," I smile as he narrows his eyes playfully. 

"Well I guess you are pretty amazing," he tells me, wrapping an arm around my waist.