Chapter 57

Trigger warning: Abusive content ahead

Someone knocks on the door and I numbly walk to it, praying that Henry won't wake up.

"Hey, Bon. Now's not really a great time. Can you come back," I ask. Please don't wake up, please don't wake up.

"Uh, yeah. Are you alright?" She looks worried.

"I'm fine," I smile. Please don't wake up, please don't wake up.

"Ok. I'll call you later," she says. She leaves and I shut the door as quietly as I can.

"Who was that," I jump.

"Bonnie. She just wanted to stop by and chat," I tell him.

"I thought I told you not to open the door to anyone," he barks, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I'm sorry. I just," a stinging pain erupts in my cheek and my head snaps to the side.

"You just what? You thought you'd disobey me and there wouldn't be any consequences," he demands.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," he interrupts me.

"You didn't mean to open the door," he yells. "You didn't mean to open the door," he slaps me again.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have opened the door, Henry," I tell him quietly.

"You're right. You shouldn't have," he storms into the kitchen. The fridge slams and I know he's gotten a beer.

"Why don't you start on supper. I want to eat before the boys get here for poker night. I want you to go home. Can't have a skirt ruinin' boys night," he takes a swig of his beer.

"Ok. I'll cook and then I'll leave," why doesn't he want me here?

"Hurry up," he yells every five minutes I'm cooking.

"I'm almost done," I tell him. The fries are almost done. And then I can leave.

***********************************

I clean another table and put all their dishes in the tub that I carry around.

"This is your sixth table in twenty minutes. Someone is overachieving," Matt jokes.

"Maybe you're just underachieving," I smile and continue cleaning the table, picking up dishes, wiping down the table.

"Maybe," he laughs and moves to a different table and begins cleaning it. Why is the Grill so busy today? Why are there so many teens? Shouldn't they be in school?

"Shouldn't someone your age be in school," a voice asks. I look up to see a dark head of hair and brown eyes.

"I graduated early. Not that it's your business," I mumble.

"That's interesting. How'd you manage that," he asks, leaning against the side of the booth I'm cleaning.

"I took dual credit classes, no study hall. Had to quit sports," I tell him, wiping the table angrily. Why is he so concerned?

"Why so angry about it? Did you like sports? Didn't you want to quit?" He asks.

"Why is it your business," I growl, looking at him.

"Ohh," he backs off a little.

"Leave her alone, Kai." Matt stands in front of me.

"Got big brother fighting your battles?" He smirks at me behind Matt.

"I don't need him to," I glare at Kai. We're so close that our chests are flush against each other.

"I think your bark is bigger than your bite," Kai traces a finger down my cheek. I scoff and push him away.

"I'm gonna get some air," I walk out through the side entrance and breathe out. Why did I let him make me so angry?

Someone grabs me and shoves me into a wall.

"What the hell were you doing with that kid in there," Henry reeks of alcohol. 

"I-I wasn't doing anything," he smashes my head into the wall.

"Really? You weren't doing anything with that guy? The guy you were all over," he smashes my head against the wall again and I scream. My vision is getting cloudy. He smashes my head again and I black out.

***********************************

I hear someone talking. Someone saying to wake up. I try to open my eyes but they won't budge.

"Come on, Victoria. Wake up," I recognize that voice. It's Matt's. It takes all of my willpower to force my eyelids open.

"Matt," I croak. My head hurts. What happened?

"Why didn't you tell me," he asks. He looks awful. Like he hasn't slept in a long time.

"Tell you what," my throat is dry. Like the Sahara.

"About Henry. Why didn't you tell anyone," his voice cracks and I flinch. I didn't ever want Matt to find out.

"I didn't want you to worry," I mumble.

"It's a bit late for that," he laughs dryly.

"I'm sorry, Mattie," I tell him, grabbing his hand.

"You could've died. There was so much blood when Kai found you," he puts his head in his free hand.

"Kai found me?" I ask. I didn't think he cared.

"Yeah. He thought he heard something and went out to check it out. Then he came back in yelling for someone to call an ambulance." He explains.

"Why? He doesn't seem to like me," why would he worry about me.

"I'm not sure," he tells me, running the pad of his thumb across my knuckles.

"I guess I owe him a thanks," I mumble.

"Yeah," Matt leans back in his chair.

Someone knocks on the door and Matt allows them in.

"Sleeping beauty's awake," Kai smirks down at me.

"Sleeping beauty? Where," I look around.

"You had me worried there for a second," he says.

"Kai Parker? Worried? Who are you and what did you do to Kai," I chuckle. Kai Parker would never worry about someone like me.

"Look, I had just recently won the whole merge thing with Luke and I was overwhelmed with worry. I've been here every day since," he tells me. Why would he care? Why does he care?

"Look, I'll be back. I haven't been home for three days. I'll be back later," Matt looks between Kai and me.

A/N Thank you guys so much for 10k!