Chapter 67

A tear slides down my cheek as I cry over my husbands coffin. I look at my wrinkled hand and wipe it away.

***********************************

"Why aren't you smiling like usual," a voice asks behind me.

"Um, I chipped my teeth in practice yesterday and they look really bad," I mumble. He smiles and my heart flutters.

"They can't be that bad," he chuckles. I smile a real smile and his eyes widen.

"See," I close my mouth and begin to walk away heavy-hearted.

"It's not even that noticeable. It's not like you have a lisp or anything," he turns me around.

"Not that noticeable," I mumble sarcastically.

***********************************

"You can't go out with him! He's a junior and you're a freshman! You're crazy," my mom yells at me. She doesn't understand.

"I know what you're thinking. 'She doesn't understand.' He's not a good guy," she mumbles. That was the first fight of many about him.

***********************************

"Ryan, ever since I first laid eyes on you I knew you were the one. I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. Would you make me the luckiest man alive by marrying me," my heart is pounding in my throat and tears are in my eyes. I nod quickly and he slips the ring onto my finger.

***********************************

"Just push a little more," I push and I scream. "Congratulations. It's a healthy baby girl," my chest heaves and I hold my sweet baby girl as John looks down at me. Pride fills his eyes and I hand him the crying baby.

"We did it," I squeeze his hand. "We really did it."

***********************************

"Mom, Dad. We're getting married," Diana clutches Liam's hand. John looks at me and then between the two of them.

***********************************

"Here lies Kai Parker. Loving husband and father," my heart hurts but my body feels numb. I can't believe my dad died. John's arms wrap around my waist as I quiver, shaking.

***********************************

"Mom, Dad, I'm pregnant," Diana admits, looking nervous. I squeeze John's hand and I squeal happily with our daughter.

***********************************

"Here lies John Sutton. Loving father, brother, and husband," my hand shakes as I watch them wheel his casket away.

I look numbly at Diana and Liam. We can't do the graveside memorial. It's too cold and icy. So this was our final goodbye.