Chapter 78

Gods his eyes are so gorgeous. His lips are so pink. I just want to run my hands through his hair.

"Hello? Were you listening to a word I said," Kathy asks. My face heats up.

"I'm sorry," I mumble.

"It's ok. I was just telling you that I put a note from you in Kai's locker," my eyes widen and I gasp.

"What? No! Why did you do that," I ask. No, no, no! Why the hell did she do that?

"Because I think he likes you and I want you to stop daydreaming," she tells me.

"What did it say," I demand.

"It basically said that you like him. Asking if he liked you. I told him to put it back in my locker when he's done with it," she says. My heart races.

"Apparently the bells aren't working today so you can leave," I grab my phone from the bucket we have to put it in and race out of the door. Kathy beats me to her locker and grins at me.

"He put it back," she waves it in front of my face. I make a grab for it, but she slaps my hand away. Rather harshly. She unfolds the paper as we walk down the hall.

"Here," she smiles excitedly. I look at the paper, my heart pounding. A smile builds on my face as I see it. In pencil a sloppy check is placed in the yes box. Several of my friends are walking around me, asking what he said.

"He said yes," I squeal excitedly. My heart soars and I can't keep the smile off of my face.

"I'm so happy for you," Emily smiles. Callie just claps happily and smiles.

I can't pay attention during World Geography. Kathy smiles and acts excited. I can't believe that he actually likes me. He actually likes me.

"Sara, I'm sorry to tell you, but you've just been pranked," she says. I blink. What? What does she mean?

"It was just a prank. I'm sorry. I didn't think you would believe it," Kathy tells me. He doesn't like me? He didn't even see the note? "I wouldn't have put that note in his locker anyway. There's a chance of him saying no."

My heart drops into my stomach. It wasn't real. I frown.

"Please don't be mad," Kathy says.

"I'm not mad," I tell her.

"Yes you are. I can't stand it when you're mad at me," she says.

"I'm not mad. It's no big deal. It was just a prank," I smile. Just a prank.

We sit in class for the next thirty minutes. When the bell rings I rush from the stuffy classroom and toward the gym for break. The worst part is, I actually believed it all. I actually believed that he liked me. I put my stuff down and make my way to the locker room. Thank goodness it's empty. I make it to the JV bench and sit. Then, tears make their way down my cheeks and I try to cry as quietly as possible. Someone walks into the room and I wipe my eyes. I walk quickly into the bathroom and grab some toilet paper. I blow my most and throw it away. I walk out of the stall and wash my hands.

Luckily, I don't have to sit with Kathy during third period band. She's back with the percussion and I sit with the rest of the trumpets. The class allows me to calm down and focus on anyone but me.

And then, Algebra I. I don't have time to worry about Kai and the fake note. But once I finish the paper that Mrs. Morgan assigned, it creeps back in and I feel sadness take over again.

Then in English I'm stuck sitting next to her again. And it's the 'please don't be mad at me, I didn't mean to hurt you,' parade. But I couldn't care less about her not meaning to hurt me. She did. And I'm tired of hearing her apologies.

"I'm sorry, please don't be mad," she asks again. I look down at her.

"You didn't mean to hurt me? Well how is that working out for you," I demand, walking away from her. She huffs, exasperated. I walk out of the cafeteria, the gym. I sign myself out of school and I get in my car, running a hand through my hair.

I start my car and start the drive home. It's close enough to the end of the day anyway for me. I'll only miss two periods and they don't really count absences. They don't really care if I show up.
***********************************
I feel tears running down my cheeks yet again. It feels like I've cried enough to fill an ocean by now. Why did she do that?

Someone knocks on my door.

"What," I ask, wiping my eyes on my sheet.

"Can I come in," Kai asks.

"I don't know, can you," I smile wryly.

"I guess I can," he chuckles, walking into my room. He always does that before he walks in. "Why'd you leave earlier," he asks, sitting next to me on the bed.

"Doesn't matter," I tell him. I can't believe he's here.

"You know you can tell me anything right? That's what best friends do, tell each other everything," I wince at the 'best friend' part.

"Someone just pulled a really awful prank on me. I just needed to think," I tell him, sitting up.

"So your idea of thinking is crying for three hours in your room," he asks, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"This time it was," I tell him.

"What was the prank?" He asks.

"She put a note in this guys locker. Showed me the guys reply was yes. Then she let me be happy for about a half hour. Then she told me it was all fake," I tell him.

"Who was the guy? Cause uh, I can tell you if he likes you or not," he says.

"You," I tell him. He looks into my eyes and then to my lips. And suddenly I feel his lips on mine. I didn't expect them to be this soft.

I'm startled awake because someone slams the door downstairs.