Chapter 6

"I love you. Remember that," my mom's grip slowly loosens and then goes slack.

"No, Mom, please," I feel tears in my eyes and I push my head into Kai's chest. Sobs rack my body as I mourn my Mom. Soon enough a nurse asks us to leave the room.
................................................................

"Dearly departed, today we are gathered to celebrate the life of Kennedy Harmon. She was a great friend, a wonderful mother, and a hard worker. She is proceeded in death by her husband Dustin and her oldest daughter Karin. She is survived by her youngest daughter Brooklyn."

I wipe tears off of my face as sobs overtake my body. Please just let this be a horrible nightmare. Kai wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into him as I put my head on his shoulder.

"And now, Damon Salvatore will present a eulogy." the preacher tells the small crowd. Damon walks to the podium and looks at me sadly.
................................................................

After the funeral Kai takes me home and I numbly unlock the door. Slowly I walk inside and take my shoes off. Why did she have to go? Why? Why couldn't she stay?

"W-why did this happen, Kai," I ask quietly.

"When you're in a garden what flowers do you pick first?" He asks gently.

"The most beautiful ones," I mumble.

"Exactly. That's why your mom had to leave," he brushes some hair out of my eyes.

Kai stays for the rest of the night and we cuddle on the couch.