Chapter 81

For months I've liked Kai. Hell, I think I might even love him. But my mother seems to think that he doesn't deserve me. That he's too bad for someone so good. So I've left him alone, my heart slowly crumbling every day that I have to watch Kai laugh and smile with some other girl.

As he walks past me I have to remind myself that I can't be with him now, maybe ever. I look away from him so it doesn't look to suspicious, but with my luck everyone probably noticed.
******************************
"Hey," Kai says, walking toward me.

"Hey," I say back, smiling.

"I have a question," he tells me.

"Alright," I nod, waiting for him to ask.

"Could you help me get ready to ask Anna to go to Prom with me?" I fight to keep tears from my eyes and a smile on my face. I nod and he grins a lopsided grin that sends my heart into overdrive.

"Ok so I was thinking of waiting until you guys are out of practice and everyone but her is gone. And then, once everyone's gone I'll set this out so she'll see it," he shows me a sign that says 'Micky need Minnie, Nemo needs the sea, this prince needs his princess, will you go to prom with me?'

"That sounds good," I tell him, surprising myself that my voice doesn't crack even a little. He smiles and thanks me. I walk out of the gym and back into the locker room, grabbing my stuff.
***********************************
I get a phone call from Anna.

"Hello," I say into the phone.

"Guess what guess what guess what," she exclaims.

"What," I ask.

"Kai asked me to go to prom with him," she squeals excitedly.

"That's amazing," I tell her.
***********************************
It's the night of the prom and my mother is practically shoving me through the door. I'm all dressed up in a pretty, red dress. It has jewels at the top and then ends just before my knees. It's the dress Kai helped me pick out before he became super popular because he joined the basketball team. He said he thought the red would be a good contrast to my light complexion and dark hair.
***********************************
Why did I even come here? I should've stayed home and watched something on Netflix. And eaten popcorn or chocolate. Or both. But now I'm stuck here, watching Kai and Anna dance. As he smiles and talks to her, my heart crumbles more and more. And eventually I leave the dance.

"Hey, are you ok," Fallon asks. She's part of the basketball and volleyball teams.

"Uh yeah," I tell her, wiping away the few tears that have managed to slip out.

"I'll believe that when I'm able to jump serve," she says. I chuckle quietly, sniffling.

"It's stupid," I mumble, embarrassed with myself.

"No it's not," she tells me. I take a deep breath and tell her what happened and how I feel. "I'm sorry," she tells me, wrapping me in a hug.

"Why are you sorry? This mess isn't your fault," I tell her.

"He doesn't deserve you," she tells me. "You deserve someone who's going to move mountains for you." I nod weakly, not really believing her but going with it. "He could live ten lifetimes and not deserve you," she hugs me lightly.

"Thank you," I tell her, hugging her back, careful not to tear or wrinkle her dress.
***********************************
Every time I see Kai with Anna my heart squeezes and I fight the urge to cry. But it's getting easier with time. And Fallon and I have become something like best friends. I think Kai might even propose to Anna. And I'm pretending to be happy for her. She doesn't notice, but I don't care.