Chapter 29

"Kai, please don't do this," my voice cracks. I can't believe he's throwing everything we've been through away. I helped him struggle through his emotions, we helped each other with family issues. I gave everything to him, everything.

"You had to have known this was coming. We agreed at the start that this was only a short term thing," tears drop down my cheeks. How could he do this to us? Why can't he stay? Why can't he stay?

"Kai, please. Don't do this," I beg. He doesn't look at me. "At least tell me why," I ask. What did I do wrong?

"It's not you. It's me," he begins walking away. No, please you can't leave me.

"Kai, I need you. You can't walk away from me like this," I grab his arm. He pulls away from me and keeps walking. "Kai, I'm pregnant," I gasp. He pauses. Please turn around. Please. He keeps walking away.

Kai's POV

The news hits me hard. So hard that I stop walking, for a second. I keep walking away from her. It's better for her to hate me and live than love me and die.

I hear her choked crying and push the sound to the back of my mind. "Keep walking, Kai," I tell myself. I have to put as much distance between us as possible. If I don't, my dad will find out about us and kill her.

My vision gets blurry and my eyes sting. What did McKenna call this? Crying? Yes, that's it. It sucks. Why is my body reacting this way?

Soon enough I make it back to our house and start packing my things. I've got to get out of Mystic Falls. I need to get out of Virginia. Maybe even out of the U.S.

I should've killed my father when I had the chance. I wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for him.

"Last call for flight 797 to Paris," a woman's voice calls over the intercom. I make my way in through the door to the plane. I can't believe that I'm leaving my girl behind. But it's for her own good.