Chapter 12

1858

Stefan struggles to put on a tie and our brother Damon walks in.

"What are you doing?" Damon asks.

"Borrowing one of father's ties for the funeral." Stefan fidgets with the tie.

"He will skin you alive. Take mine." He kneels next to us and puts his tie around Stefan's neck. "Okay."

"Did you finish the speech?" I ask.

"Not quite." Damon replies.

"It's an important speech." Stefan looks in the mirror.

"I will finish it, Stefan." Damon mumbles.

"Father said we're not to cry." I tell them.

"That is because father is incapable of human emotion. You are ten. You can cry if you feel like it." Damon hugs me.

"I don't think I will," Stefan says, shaking his head.

"Why's that?" Damon and I ask at the same time.

"Because mother's angel told me everything would be alright." Stefan tells us.

"When was this?" Damon asks.

"Last night in my sleep. She visited me. Did she visit you?" Stefan asks us.

"I must have missed it. There. Be on your way." He pats Stefan on the head and fixes a stray piece of my hair.

Present Time

Crying I walk out of the boarding house. I can't believe that she's gone. She can't be gone.

"What's wrong, Bella?" Kai asks behind me.

"L-leave me alone, Kai," I sniffle and continue walking down the street. Thunder rolls and it rains. Are you kidding me? Can this day get any worse? Wiping the tears from my eyes I watch closely as Kai comes closer.

"Don't cry, Beautiful. She's in a better place," he says gently.