The Dock

His legs dangled over the water not very far below him. His family was inside the house watching old family movies. Mitch didn't wanna watch them, because he knew that his sister would make fun of him. Like she always does. And all the people at school do, too. She made fun of him just yesterday for coloring his hair purple. She made fun of him a couple days ago for wearing a dress to Scott's party. It was summer vacation and it was tradition since Mitch and Scott were 10 to rent a house on the beach for the whole summer, the Hoyings and the Grassis all together. It was nighttime and Mitch was sitting on the edge of the dock that goes out to the lake behind the house. Mitch heard laughs coming from the house, but he didn't hear Scott's. He knew that his sister and Scott's sisters were making fun of him, cause Scott didn't laugh. He heard the back door open and slam close. He heard stomping coming towards him and someone sat down next to him, finding out it was Scott.

"Let me guess, she made fun of me again." Mitch spoke.

"Yep. Even my sisters laughed. It's not fair." Scott replied.

"I'm used to it, don't worry."

"No, I have to worry because my Mitchy is not worth all of this crap."

Mitch smiled because he said "my", which made his heart leap out of his chest. Mitch has had the longest crush on Scott and still has it. He has already come out and his sister made fun of him for that, too. But she kind of supports him now.

"I'm so glad I have you sticking up for me." Mitch said, resting his head on Scott's shoulder.

"I promised I'd be there, and I'm keeping that promise for the rest of my life." Scott said, wrapping an arm around his waist.

We sat in silence just enjoying each other's company, watching the ripples in the water and the light from the moon hitting the water.

"Why do you not make fun of me?" I asked quietly.

"Why would I, Mitch?" Scott asked back.

"Everyone does. Why are you the one to stand up for me?"

Scott sighed and brought his hand off my waist and I picked my head up to look at him.

"I stand up for you because I'm the only one who sees the right Mitch."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm the only one who sees the true you."

"The true me is what the other people say."

"No it's not and you fucking know that, Mitch." His voice getting sterner.

"Why does everyone say it then!" I almost yelled, surprised at how loud my voice was.

Scott and I never fight. Ever. Scott looked surprised, too. His eyes were widened and he didn't talk. His eyes went back to normal and he looked at me.

"They will never see what I see in you. Because in their minds, they make all the good things about you bad so they can have a reason to make fun of you. They're insecure about themselves so they put their insecurities on you." Scott explained to me.

"What do you even see in me?" I asked.

"Do you really want to know?"

"Yes. I do."

Scott smiled and looked away from me, folding his hands in his lap.

"Ok then. Y'know when people tease you about your looks," I nodded my head. "They don't see that you are, and I'm not kidding when I say this, the most...beautiful, handsome, pretty, gorgeous boy in the world."