Run Aways

I held my best friend as close as I could and hid behind a wall. Gunshots were shooting in the distance and some were closer.

"It's ok, Mitchy. Breathe, you're safe." I whispered in his ear.

He was sobbing and shaking in my arms. Mitch cried in my chest and tried to breathe.

"S-Scott? Where are our parents?" He asked worriedly through his tears.

"I-I don't know."

I tear went down my cheek as I got the feeling that they died.

"2 BOYS BEHIND THE WALL! SHOOT!" A man yelled.

My eyes widened and I grabbed Mitch's hand, sprinting with him down the rocky alleyway. The gunshots were getting closer and closer.

"Scott! Where are we going?!" Mitch screamed as he ran.

"Doesn't matter!" I yelled back, running faster.

I turned the corner of the alleyway and ran into the forest.

"STOP RUNNING!" The same man yelled.

I turned back and saw over 50 men with guns running toward us.

"Shit." I muttered, turning back and running.

I heard a loud gunshot and Mitch scream, feeling his hand let go of mine. I turned back and saw his shoulder had blood and a hole.

"MITCH NO!" I screamed, picking him up and running again.

I started to sob looking at him in so much pain. I held the hole on his shoulder so it would help stop the bleeding.

"Scott...i-it hurts." Mitch groaned.

"I know, Mitchy. I'm so sorry." I spoke through my sobs.

I ran and ran until I jumped over the fence that borders the town. The men shouted at us until they gave up and ran back to destroy the rest of our town.

I sat down and breathed heavily, tired from all the running. I got my backpack out and pulled out the ace bandage at the bottom of the bag, my mom thought we would need it. I wrapped it tight around Mitch's shoulder and held him closer.

"You're going to be alright. I promise, Mitch." I whispered, holding him tight.

"We're only 14, how are we going to live? How are we going to survive?" Mitch asked quietly.

"All I know is we're staying together and we're going to survive together. Cause you're all I have and I care for you with all my heart."

"I care, too, Scott."

He rested his head lightly in between my neck and my shoulder. I kissed his forehead lightly and stared out into the forest trees. His eyes started to close and he fell asleep.

-

We walked down the unpaved road in silence. We've been walking for almost a week and all we've seen is trees.

"When are we going to get to a new city?" Mitch asked, running his hands through his hair.

"I wish I knew." I muttered.

He sighed and put his hand in his sweatshirt pockets. I looked at him and smiled.

"Is it a bad time to say you look pretty?" I asked.

"...No." Mitch mumbled, blushing a bit.

I grinned and grabbed his hand, pulling him closer to me and kept walking. I didn't let go of his hand and he didn't let go of mine. The road started to go up a hill and managed to get the strength to start climbing it.