Chapter 28: Dinner

*Beau POV*

It had been three days.

Three days since I kissed Cara. Three days since my fight with my brother. Three days since I told Cara how I felt and three days since I got my heart ripped right out of my chest.

She hadn't spoken to me, not a single word. Probably because all I had done was sit in my room for those days, sulking and messing around on my laptop. I refused to come out for anyone. Not even my own mum. I was too upset. Too broken inside. And I had nobody to blame but myself.

I should have just kept my feelings to myself. I shouldn't have told Cara how I felt. I shouldn't have told Luke. Or Jai. Or anyone. I should have known she wouldn't choose me. But her and Luke had only been dating a month. So I thought maybe there was still a slight chance.

What hurt even worst was hearing them. Hearing Cara's sweet giggle and Luke's annoying ass chuckle. Hearing them loudly whisper to each other in the room across from mine in the midst of the night. Hearing everyone sitting down stairs, laughing and talking at the dinner table.

A sighed when a knock on my door interrupted my thoughts.

"What?" I scoffed.

The door cracked open and I nearly choked when Cara popped her head inside. I immediately sat up and focused all my attention on her. This was possibly my chance. My chance to apologize and my chance to prove myself.

"Can I come in?" Her sweet voice trailed throughout the silent room. I simply nodded and tried to force a smile so she didn't feel so uncomfortable.

Cara pushed the door open and paced her way across my room sitting herself upon my bed right next to me. She had her hair flowing down her back and was wearing purple cloth shorts and one of Luke's jumpers.

Of course.

I scooched over a bit, trying to create some room between us, even though I'd rather have it the exact opposite.

Cara gave a slight, beautiful grin before looking at the her petite feet shuffling back and forth against the floor. She patted her palms gently on her thighs before speaking again.

"I'm going back to my house tonight." She quietly stated. She looked up at me, pulling her bottom lip through her teeth. I could tell she was nervous about speaking to me.

"Oh yeah?" I mumbled, lying back down against my mattress. I knew she had been having trouble at home, but I didn't want to show any interest.

I cared. I wanted everything to be okay with her home life. I wanted her to be happy. I just didn't want her to know I cared. I didn't want to show her my feelings, because I didn't want to get hurt again.

"Yeah. My mum wanted to have dinner. And meet this guy she's been seeing." She let out a light sigh, "I don't really want to," now a giggle, "But I can't stay here all the time."

"You know you can stay here for as long as you want." I said. And I meant it. She makes this house better. She made everyone happier, especially Luke. And me.

"I know," she smiled, appreciating my statement, "but I need to work things out with my mum. And I'm running out of clothes to wear!" Another perfect giggle. A small smile crept onto my face. Just simply talking to her like this made my day better.

I sat back up and shifted so I was facing her directly. I put my finger under her chin and lifted her face so she was looking at me. I noticed a state of panic come over her and her face lose color.

Oh no. No. Don't screw this up Beau. Don't fuck up again.

"Cara. I-" I tried my hardest to keep my voice calm, "I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I just thought maybe-"