Chapter 24: Car Rides and Couches

*Luke POV:*

We began to drive home in complete silence for the second time today. This time it was because of me. I was mad; infuriated with my brother for telling Cara's mother where we were. He knew we were on our date, and he already knew there was something wrong. Why would he try to ruin everything? Sure he was being an ass today, but this was taking it too far.

About half way through the drive, Cara reached across and grabbed one of my hands that were gripped on the wheel. She peeled my palm off of the wheel and intertwined her fingers with mine. I looked down and watched with amusement as she took her other hand and laid it on top of our woven finger.

A small smile formed on my face as she delicately traced circles on the back of my palm with her short purple nails. I examined her beautiful face. She looked down with glimmering eyes and pursed lips. Just looking at her made me feel like the anger had been completely lifted off of me.

I turned my attention back to the road, wiggling my fingers a bit. Cara giggled and continued to play with my hand.

"Luke?" she whispered, looking down.

"Cara?" I mocked back. She didn't seem to notice. She just kept looking down.

"Please don't be mad at Beau."

I immediately stopped moving my fingers in Cara's hands. I took my bottom lip in between my teeth and inhaled deeply to control my anger toward my brother, "Cara, what he did was wrong. He shouldn't have told your mum where we were. Even if he was in a shitty mood today"

She sighed, "I know. It's just- I don't think I can handle anything else today, you know?"

I nodded and began to move my thumb back and forth in her hands, "Ok. I won't talk to him about it.... tonight." I compromised. I knew she couldn't handle more arguing tonight. She'd had enough from her mother. But I still had to talk to Beau about his actions.

"Ok. Thank you" she said in a hushed tone.

I nodded and gave her hand a slight squeeze. I wanted to let her know I was there. I didn't want her to feel unsafe around me. Because she was far from it.

*Cara POV:*

"Luke?" I asked nervously. I knew he was fumed about Beau.

"Cara?" he imitated back. I just ignored his joke and kept playing with his hand.

"Please don't be mad at Beau" I pleaded. His fingers immediately stopped moving in my palm. I hoped he would calm down. I hated seeing him mad. And I wasn't really in the mood to hear more arguing tonight.

"Cara," his voice was heavy, "what he did was wrong. He shouldn't have told your mum where we were. Even if he was in a shitty mood today."

I nodded in agreement and let out a sigh. I knew he was right, but Beau didn't deserve to be yelled at and I didn't want to hear Beau being yelled at.

"I know- I just don't think I can handle anything else today, you know?" I admitted. I ran my nails against his skin gently, trying to keep my nerves steady. He gave my hand a squeeze, making me feel more comfortable.

"Ok. I won't talk to him about it... Tonight." He compromised.

"Ok. Thank you." Later was better than tonight I guess.

We kept driving all the way back to the Luke's house. It was silent, but I kept playing with Luke's hand, so it wasn't that awkward. I traced the lines in his palm and tickled the back of his palm with my nails. The feel of his skin against mine made me feel warm inside. I loved it.