Chapter 29: Family Issues

*Cara POV*

I followed my mum and Dean into the kitchen and set my purse down on the counter. The warm familiar smell of roasted chicken instantly filled my nose, causing my stomach to rumble. If there was one thing my mum is good at, it's making chicken.

I made my way over to the round table and sat down in one of the rickety wooden chairs. The table was already set and there was really nothing for me to do, so I sat there quietly, twiddling my thumbs in my lap until my mum and Dean brought the food to the table and sat down.

I scooped myself some pees and cut off some chicken, piling my plate with food. The way I see it, the more I eat, the less I have to talk.

I'm not usually one to speak my mind and share my emotions. My fight with my mother was really the first time I've ever cried in front of her...

"Cara, would you like something to drink?" Dean offered from across the table, giving me a gesturing smile. I look him up and down once more.

Who does this man think he is? He's in my home. I know where and how to get myself a drink if I wanted one. I should be the one offering him water, if anything.

No.

Scratch that.

I shouldn't be offering him anything. He shouldn't even be here.

I realize I've been thinking too long when both my mum and Dean are staring at me. I feel slightly embarrassed but just brush it off like it didn't happen.

"No thanks," I reply shortly and quietly, looking down at my plate. I begin to shovel food into my mouth to avoid any conversation with the two. When I look up, I notice Dean's hand stretched underneath the table, resting on my mother's thigh. I try not to say anything even though I am completely annoyed. I know I should be happy, but she's my mother and this man is new to me.

For about ten minutes we all eat in complete silence. I can feel my mum glancing at me every other minute but I don't look up. I'm too uncomfortable sitting here with the two of them. I don't even know this man. All I know is that he is the reason my mum hasn't been around.

Dean breaks the silence by clearing his throat and looking up at me, giving an annoyingly huge smile.

"So Cara," he begins, "How was your birthday? Your mother tells me it was last week."

"Fine," I answer with a shrug. My mum coughs a bit and gives me a stare, warning me of my behavior. I try not to be rude but it's a little hard when he's talking about my birthday when he was the one that ruined it for me the next day.

Dean ignores my wittiness and starts speaking again. His voice is deep and somewhat intimidating, "Your mother also tells me you've been seeing a boy. Luke?"

My cheeks instantly heat and I can't help but smile when I hear Luke's name. Just the sound of his name gives me butterflies in my stomach.

"Yes," I grin, giving him a swift nod.

"He's a very charming boy," my mother adds, "very sweet."

I grin once more and giggle at the thought of Luke. "Yes," I repeat, concurring with my mum's statement.

My mum and Dean both give smiles and look at each other when they see my reaction. I don't feel very phased by it because I'm too busy thinking about Luke.

"How long have you been together?" He asks me.

"About a month," I answer with a smile. The topic of Luke was a good choice because he makes me happy, and just the thought of him makes me forget my annoyance toward this man sitting at my kitchen table.