39. Tokens

Katniss's POV

Snow was right. After a few hours of wandering aimlessly around my little room and staring out of the window, one of the nurses gave me the all clear and I was taken back to the tribute quarters.

When I get there everything is exactly as I left it so nobody else has been in since I was so that way I can keep with my story of being tired. It's best if nobody knows. This is mine to deal with and mine alone.

Wandering around the rooms I don't really know what to do with myself. In the end I pull one of the covers from off the bed in my room and drag it into the main living quarters. Throwing myself down on the couch I scream as a pain shoots across my stomach. When the shooting pain subsides I surround myself in the bed cover and getting myself comfy before turning on the television. Well surprise surprise guess whats on, Caesar and his show. There seems to be a big debate as to whether I should be allowed into the arena being pregnant and all.

I know the games wouldn't be stopped for anything. Snow wouldn't risk his prize possession being contested, the game have to go ahead in his eyes. At least for me I'm better prepared. 

Curling myself up into the covers I attempt to get myself a bit comfier and lay my hands across the top of my bump to receive a kick in return  "You really don't like that do you little one?" I say not helping but laughing slightly, "everything's going to be ok..." I say tracing the newly formed scar tissue that trails along my lower stomach. I can't help but wonder about what I have done. Not really knowing if I've done the right thing. What if something really does go wrong, will Snow hold himself to it? And if he does, will Peeta ever forgive me for it, for going behind his back even? Oh I just don't know.

My panicked thoughts are interrupted when I feel a hand on my shoulder, only then do I notice my erratic breathing. I must have zoned out completely as I didn't even hear anyone enter the room. I look over my shoulder to see Peeta with his hand still on my shoulder as he is stood behind me, "Hey you alright?"

I just nod and smile but he continues to look at me inquisitively as though he doesn't believe that I am. "Promise," i say nuzzling my head on to his hand. Tonight may be the last I spend with him and I don't plan on losing any second of it.

"Well you two, this is goodbye...for now," Haymitch announces as he and Effie enter the room.

I stand up off the couch, pulling my top down further over my bump before turning and walking over to where Effie and Haymitch are stood alongside Peeta.

"Presents for the boys," Effie says as she holds out two small crimson boxes to Haymitch and Peeta.

"What is this?" Haymitch questions as he takes it from her. He opens the box to find a gold band lay inside.

Effie shakes her head, "Your token, remember? Hair for me, pin for Katniss. Gold bangle for you... And for Peeta, the medallion that we talked about."

Peeta opens his own box and looks down at the gold medallion. "Thank you, Effie."

"We're a team, aren't we?" She asks the tears welling up in her eyes an I nod in reply. "And I'm so proud of my victors," Effie says before taking Peeta and I in her arms. "So proud. I am so...well you both deserved so much better."

"Thank you Effie," I say taking her had and giving it a reassuring squeeze causing her to smile but she can't hold the tears any longer, "I am truly sorry," and with that she turns and leaves the room, probably trying to hide her tears.

Peeta turns to speak to Haymitch giving him a quick hug, "Thank you, Haymitch...For everything."

"Any last advice?" I say.

Haymitch just smiles, "Stay alive," before turning to leave.

"Haymitch, wait!" I walk over to embrace him and whisper so that Peeta can't hear,"Remember our deal. Do whatever it takes to keep him alive." Haymitch nods in response. "Promise me," I whisper before stepping back.

"Okay. Katniss, when you're in the arena remember who the real enemy is."

I just nod in reply, before Haymitch turns and follows Effie leaving Peeta and I alone once again.

Turning to Peeta I take his hand in mine and walk towards my room, "Where are we..."

"Shhh!" I interrupt him as I continue to walk off.

"Ok then," he chuckles following behind me as I pull him along.

As we enter the bedroom I throw myself down onto the bed, practically collapsing into a heap as I do so. Peeta laughs as he climbs in beside me his arm instinctively finding it's way over my shoulder. I roll myself over cradling myself in to him, my head on his chest as he runs his hands through my hair.

"I don't want to be with anyone else in there, just you," I say after a few moments of silence, propping myself up on my elbows to look at Peeta.

He nod before replying, "If that's what you want." I know it's not what he wants but I think it will be the best way. Or at least I hope it is.

"That's what I want," I nod before snuggling myself back in to his chest. "But no more talk of that tonight, I want to just spend it you and I. Nothing else but us."

"Agreed," Peeta whispers softly as he places a tender kiss to the top of my head.

I could stay this way forever, wrapped in his arms, yet tomorrow has different plans in store.