21. Understanding

Peeta's POV

She's pregnant. Katniss is pregnant. I'm going to be a dad, I can't help but smile at the thought, "Are you sure?" I don't want to get my hopes up.

She giggles slightly before answering, "I'm pretty sure Peeta."

I place my hands on her cheeks and pull her into a long and passionate kiss, "I love you so much you know that?"

"I love you too Peeta. You aren't upset are you?"

"Of course not why would I be upset? You've just made me that happiest person alive," I say and I catch her blush.

She looks down at the floor and stars messing with her hands, "I just don't want you ..."

I stop her by placing a hand on hers and lifting he head up to look at me, "I couldn't be happier Katniss. Ok so this wasn't planned but I bet neither of us exactly planned to be in the hunger games, survive, start a rebellion or be engaged at seventeen either," I say nudging her shoulder causing her to giggle, "Now that's better. I don't want to see you with anything other than a smile on your face."

We sat and spoke for a while, Katniss sat leaning her back on me, my arms wrapped over her shoulders.

"So how did you find out Kat?"

"It was Prim that said something. That pie my mum was making this morning tipped her off as I just couldn't stand the smell of it," Katniss laughs a little before continuing, "Prim thinks she's a little doctor now since she's been helping out and I have to say she was right about me this morning."

"You know we're going to have to tell people soon, I'm not too sure you can hide it, especially from your mum," I say placing a hand on her stomach.

"Oh no no no! Something tells me I don't quite think she will be as accommodating as Prim was." I can't help but laugh.

"I don't think anyone will be as accommodating as Prim. She was probably bouncing off the walls," I chuckle and Katniss does too.

"She may as well have been. She was like an excited little seal clapping her hands in excitement." I love seeing Katniss smile. Knowing that she is truly happy then I can be too. "I honestly think the only person who could be more excexcited that Prim would be Caesar, he would have an absolute field day."

"Oh my God Katniss the games. You can't go in them like this. You can't go into that arena..." I start freaking out thinking of all the different things that could happen.

"Hey hey calm down," she says taking my hands in hers, "You promised we wouldn't talk about it tonight. That it was just about us. I don't want to be thinking about anything else but hs tonight. Ok?"

I nod my head knowing she is right, "OK. So what about Haymitch and Effie? What do we say to them?"

She thinks for a second before replying, "Well how about we keep it as our little secret for now. It will be a few weeks yet before I'm showing I home so until then just us. Prim ont say anything to anyone. She may pester you about it but she wouldn't say a word to anyone else if we told her not to. When I start to show then we will tell them as there won't be any hiding it from that point onwards but they don't need to panic quite yet." She yawns the last few words and rubs her eyes.

"Come on sleepy head I think it's time we went to bed," she trys to protest but I pick her up and cradle her into my chest and carry her up the stairs. "Nope no ifs or buts about it Mrs you're coming to bed whether you like it or not," I say and she sticks her tongue out in jest.

As I get upstairs she has already closed her eyes and cuddled right in to me. I enter the bedroom and pull back the cover on the bed lying her down, not bothering to get her changed before pulling the cover over her,"Peeta?" She mumbles.

"Yes Kat?" I say crouching down beside the bed next to her.

"You're getting in to aren't you?"

I can't help but smile," Of course I am." I stand back up and pull off my shirt throwing it on my chair and getting in to the other side of the bed and within an instant Katniss has rolled over and lay her head on my chest. I place my hand on herhead and stroke her hair as she falls asleep, "Nightee night gorgeous."

***

Just a quick chapter. This didn't quite turn out how I wanted it too but ah well.

-Alannah xxx