34. Fiesty actions

Haymitch's POV

Late in the evening after their day of training Katniss returns alone back to the living quarters, " Everything ok sweetheart?" I ask as she walks in shutting the door behind her.

"There was only so long I could stay in that room... I'm too tired to cope with them all in there," She says before throwing herself down on the couch beside me.

"I feel the same way with some of them," I chuckle, "they're not all bad... Some of them are more trustworthy than others."

"And I suppose you know who that would be huh Haymitch?"

"Well yes I do. And I think after all this time I know them well enough to help you."

"So go on then... Tell me of your wisdom oh Haymitch," she smirks.

"You don't sound like you need my help at all so I'll just be going..." I say pretending to get up but she grabs my arm and pulls me back down.

"Haymitch please... I really need your help. Peeta needs to come out of this quell, even if it does mean working with those other numbskulls..."

"You really do love him don't you?"

"More than ever," she says pulling cushion off the couch as cradling it over her stomach. That girl has some strange ways of getting comfy.

"I'll do everything I can for you both in the arena, whatever it takes..."

"For Peeta." She interrupts, "You will do whatever you can for Peeta. It has to be him Haymitch, please. We both owe him that much."

I let out a sigh before replying, "I don't like it... But I'll do it. For Peeta." I say wrapping my arm over her shoulder, "maybe you deserve him more than I ever let on Katniss," I say with a smile taking her in for a hug, "We can do this. You'll be fine."

Just then the door opens behinds and in walks Peeta. I release Katniss and shuffle along the sofa a bit so that Peeta can sit with her, "So how was training lad?"

"It was good. A good chance to see who we could trust, or more importantly who we couldn't."

"Oh yeah?"

"Let's just say I don't plan on making any sort of alliance with the careers again this year. It didn't do me so well last year and I'm pretty damn sure it would land me in worse trouble this time around..." I can't help but chuckle at his assessment of them.

"Well son you've pretty much got the four of them all figured out. Backstabbing and glory hunting. They'll knock down anyone in their paths, with or without an alliance." I reply. "Well the good news is at least half of the tributes wants you as an ally," I announce to them both.

"Well, they saw her shoot," Peeta explains. That explains it. She's good with a bow and clearly they all understand that is a talent better to have on their side rather than against them.

"Well, sweetheart," I say turning to Katniss, "it looks like you've got your pick of the litter."

She seems to consider it for a moment before replying,"I want Wiress and Beetee." Of course you would I think to myself.

"Johanna calls them Nuts and Volts," Peeta says and I can't help but snicker. Johanna is right on that point but they would be good for figuring out the arena. They have quick thinking minds in that sense, just no use in strategies.

"Well, okay, good. Now who else?"

"Mags," she says in almost a whisper causing Peeta to slump back in the chair folding his arms in his frustration. Katniss must notice his disapproval and quickly pipes up, "Alright, fine, then no one."