18. He lives, not me

Katniss's POV

I watch as Peeta walks down the steps of my house before closing the door and heading into the kitchen to grab myself one of Prim's cookies, I'm sure Peeta will have baked some more. I pour myself a glass of milk to drink it down with before I realise my hands are shaking. I need to calm down, maybe ringing Peeta will calm my nerves. I make my way into the hall and pick up the phone to dial Peeta.

"Hello?"

"Its only me, I just wanted to check you got home ok."

"Well hello only you, yes I did thank you. I only life across the path you can see me from your front room if you looked you dafty." "Its good to hear his voice even though it was just moments ago when I heard it last.

"I know, I know. I just worry."

"Well its sweet of you Kat but I'm a big lad you know its time I started acting like one." I laugh at his comment, "Now go on, I'll see you later we can have a cuddle by the fire later?"

"Sounds perfect. I love you Peeta."

"I love you too Katniss." I can't help but smile at hearing him say it. I place the phone down and walk into the front room and sit on the end of the couch beside Prim as her and mom are already sitting watching the start of the announcement.

President Snow stands in front of a raging crowd ready to announce this years quarter quell games. On the podium infront of him is a box which has been laid open where he then lifts up a small yellow envelope and begins his speech, "In this, the 75th Hunger games and the third quarter quell ..." He breaks the presidential seal on the envelope and opens it up and grin on his face as he does so, "As a reminder, that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol. On this, the third Quarter Quell game, the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

I just look at the screen not being able to say a word.

"Noo!" My mum screams in hysterics.

Prim is panicking more because she doesn't understand, "Wait what does that mean?!"

I can't just sit here while they're like this I need to get out of here. I shakingly stand up and start to walk out the house but as soon as I'm out of the door I break in to a run. I don't quite know where I'm heading I'm just on automatic pilot, anywhere that gets me away from here where I can be on my own for a while. I just run and run until I find myself in the meadow and throw myself down against a tree and sit there for a while.

Snow has had this planned all along. It didn't matter what I did or how I acted on the tour he wanted to send me back in to the arena, to fight for my life once again,except its not just my life on the line now. I drop my hand and rest it on my stomach, what are we going to do now little one. Prim was right, I need to tell Peeta.

Oh my gosh Peeta! I hadn't even thought about him I just up and ran. God knows how he's coping with this I mean we barely escaped with our lives the first time I don't quite think they will be as forgiving the second time.

Urgh what am I going to do?

Maybe I could get Haymitch to come in to the arena with me, that way I know Peeta will be safe and I trust Haymitch. Haymitch knows all the other victors we won't be at that big a disadvantage that I don't know them, he has probably been friends with most of them for years. If he was in the arena maybe we could form an alliance with some of them, he surely knows by now who the best would be to have on our side. Ok well that's it then. Haymitch and I will go into the arena, its his turn to save Peeta seeing as he chose to help me in the arena last time.

Peeta will be fine. He has always been good with words and I'm sure he could helps us get sponsors. Plus if anything does happen to me, then he will be there for Prim and my mum. He's like a big brother to Prim I know how much she looks up to him and he would look after them for me if I don't come out of the games this time. I hate Snow for making me having to think like this.

I guess I better go and talk to Haymitch.

I wander around the meadow for a bit longer, taking a slow walk back to victors village by going through the district itself. Nobody can look me in the eye, they all look down or look away as they see me coming. Some woman even crossed the street so she didn't have to walk past me.

The village itself is pretty empty. Everyone is probably at home still so I just head straight over to Haymitch's and walk in. No point on knocking he's probably expecting me anyway. "Come to ask me to die have we sweetheart?" He says as I walk in.

"I came for a drink and thought that this would be the best place to go," I can't just ask him out right.

"Are you sure you should be drinking in your condition?" Shit. Does he know? Wait how would he only Prim knows. Brush it off Katniss, brush it off.

"And what condition would that be?" I say taking the bottle of liquor off the table.

"You seem pretty out of it as it is love, drink ain't gonna make it any better." Phew!

I take the bottle to my lips and take a big drink, before handing it back, "Well it definitely can't make it any worse."

Haymitch chuckles at that and pours me a drink in a glass and pushes it across the table towards me, "Welcome to my world sweetheart."

"Haymitch?" He grunts as I say his name, "Do you think this was staged? I mean the year after twelve has its first female victor there just happens to be a victor draw?"

Haymitch slumps back in his chair, "It certainly seems that way huh. I'm afraid there's not much we can do though sweetheart. I mean I'm not saying its going to be easy but I'll help you through it."

"Would you come in the arena with me Haymitch? I mean you know these people, if it was Peeta we'd be at even more of a disadvantage as neither of us would know anyone but you've been friends with them all for years now."

"I get where you're coming from sweetheart but what if the boy volunteers? There's nothing I can do then."

I sigh knowing that is exactly what Peeta would do, "Then you get him the sponsors. Haymitch, Peeta has to come out of this, you helped me last year now its his turn for the sponsors if he ends up in the arena with me then you must promise that you will help him and not me!"

"What would you say if I told you that boy was here half an hour ago begging for me to save you?"

"Then I'd tell you that you owe it to him to save him. Whether he was here or not."

He sighs before replying, "Alright, if they call his name I'll volunteer in his place."

I reach over and grab his free hand, "Haymitch, thank you."

"I think these games are gonna be different sweetheart."

"I don't care what they are like, we do whatever we can. Peeta lives, not me."

***

Yay I quite liked writing this one :)

-Alannah xx