38. Problems

Katniss's POV

"Wakey wakey sleepyhead..." I hear Peeta say as he rocks me gently back and forth.

"Urghhh I don't wanna get up yet..."I mumble out as I roll over to curl myself further up into the covers.

"Katniss are you ok?!"

"I'm fine Peeta just tired... It took me ages to get to sleep last night with this little one wriggling about all the time..." I say and almost right on queue I yawn.

"Ok well I'm going to training for the day maybe I'll see you at dinner down there?"

"I'll see how I feel," I say with a smile. I can't let him know what I'm doing, he wouldn't trust Snow and until it's done I'm not actually sure I totally do.

"Ok Kat," he gives me a kiss on the forehead and heads off, "take care of you both Kat. I love you both."

I hate lying to him but it has to be done. Both of them need to be safe and at least this was I can keep my little girl safe, next I just have to work on saving Peeta in the arena.

I wait a while after he has gone, just lying there and thinking about everything that's has happened. After getting ready I find myself pacing around the room before I hear a light tap on the door. Walking to the door I wait there a moment before taking a deep breath an opening it to find an avox girl wanting me her to follow her. I do so without saying a word and through both the elevator ride and the walk to the peacekeeper truck other than saying a quick thank you before I get in.

The whole time to the hospital nobody says a word. I am sat in the back of one of the peacekeepers trucks with a peacekeeper on either side of me and one in front of me. I'm probably in one of these trucks as to not draw attention to myself and the trucks are hardly a rarity on the streets of Panem anyway and I highly doubt that the Capitol is exempt to that. Snow will hardly want to roll out the red carpet for me going into a hospital, especially the day before I am taken into the arena it will not look good to the sponsors and he will want a good show after all.

When we reach the hospital itself two more peacekeepers lead me in through the busy halls, with everyone stepping aside to pass us through. I guess there's no need to keep me hidden once I'm inside. All of Panem knows I'm here in the Capitol and that I'm pregnant so I suppose its not much of a surprise that I'm visiting it.

We are lead into a white room not unlike the hospital room I woke up in a few dad ago only slightly larger. "Miss Everdeen," one of the peacekeepers says guesturing to the bed. As I hop up on to the bed the peacekeepers all leave and the door is just behind them but I can just make out two figures by the door, they must be guarding it.

I sit for a moment before the door opens I've again an my head shoots up as I realize a nurse has come in. "Miss Everdeen. Are you ready?"

"Where is Snow?"

"President Snow couldn't be here he had urgent business to attend to, but he will be here before it's over."

"Oh. So you know... What you're doing then?"

The nurse nods in reply, "We know what to do Miss Everdeen. Now if you're ready ..."

I take a deep breath before nodding,"I'm ready."

"Ok Miss Everdeen you're going to feel a slight pinch as I administer the anesthetic and then I will see you after the procedure. You're in excellent hands," she says giving my hand a squeeze before she picks up the fluid filled needle.

She gives me the quick shot and walks towards the door giving it a light knock, "she's ready...."

****

"Her vitals are peaking.... She's coming around!" I catch a nurse panicking.

"So knock her back out. She's not done yet. I'm not finished with her!" Oh great, because that's not ominous. "Just shoot her some more anaesthetic or something just get her knocked out... She is not going to want to be awake for thissssss...."

***

I wake up back in the hospital room with some sort of mask over my mouth and as I lift my arm up to remove it I notice a tube going into my hand. Great.

I try to sit up but done have the energy after just coming around. The anaesthetic probably still taking it's toll. Instead I look around the room from where I lay but even with my limited view I can still see Snow sat in the corner.

"Ah Miss Everdeen you're awake. You'll be happy to know the procedure went well. I have a complete insight as to what is going on..." Snow says tapping a small screen in his hand.

"Good." I answer not really knowing what else to say.

"You know I could have just had them slip slightly with the scalpel and mini Mellark would have been... Bye bye..." He says with a smirk.

"You're insufferable you know that?" I say rolling my eyes and turning my head to look away from him with about all the energy I can muster.

"And yet, here we are. You will have a few hours to recuperate and a nurse will come in to check on you before you are returned to the tribute living quarters." Snow explains, "Good day Miss Everdeen. Oh and good luck for tomorrow," he continues before shutting the door behind him and I am left alone with my thoughts.

I did what I had to do, but I can't help thinking... Was it the right thing to do.

****

Just as everyone is panicking no she hasn't had an abortion it's just the tracker she agreed with Snow on. He can see both hers and mini Mellark's vitals so incase anything happens to her in the quell he is able to get them out in time to save the baby.

Sorry if I panicked anyone!!!

-Alannah xxx