6. Blunt words

Haymitch's POV

Katniss is thrown into my arms and the door slammed behind her, "No leave him alone!" She shrieks at the closed door but the gun shot that follows shows they would not listen. Katniss goes into hysterics trying to pull herself out of my grasp.

"Are you mad girl!" I say pulling her away and up the closest set of stars with Peeta following only steps behind. We reach the top and I storm into the first room we get to. " You two have a very simple task."

Katniss looks out the window and I follow her gaze to see the mans lifeless body being dragged along the stage and bawls out into tears. "I never meant for anyone to get killed, he has to know that!" The panic in her eyes makes me wonder who she can really be that worried over.

" Snow, he had a letter placed in my home. He's worried about the rebellion in the districts, he thinks that they don't believe our love story. He thinks its all a lie. He thinks I acted out of love to save Peeta but not that I actually love him. I can't do this any more!"

Snow has every right to be worried about rebellions in the districts, its bigger than we first thought, "So he wants you to make them believe?"

She nods slightly but before she has a chance to speak Peeta starts shouting, " You know Katniss, you should've told me that before I went out there and try to give these people our money!" He has a point that hasn't really helped the situation, but I know what that kids like and he probably would have done it anyway.

" I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do. I could lose Prim after all I have done by going into the games myself to save her!"

"Yeah well, I have family too!" Ouch when these two fight they really go at it.

"Yours are gone Peeta! At least let me try and save mine!" The look on his face goes from pure panic to disgust. Even I can't believe she just said that. She reaches out her hand to grab his, "Peeta ..."

"Don't bother Katniss." He says pulling his hand away from her, "go save your family or whatever and don't worry I'm sure I can act like you've not just shot me in the chest when we're on camera." He walks off and shuts the door behind him.

"Well done sweetheart. Don't worry about him he'll calm down eventually. What were you thinking out there though?!" I say pointing at the window.

"I was thinking about Rue. Haymitch, please, please just help me get through this trip. Please, just help us get through this." Is she really that naive?

"This trip? Wake up! This trip doesn't end when you get back home. You never get off this train. You two are mentors now, that means that every year they're gonna drag you out and broadcast the details of your romance. Every year your private life becomes theirs. From now on your job is to be a distraction so that people forget what the real problems are."

"What am I going to do? I've hurt Peeta for good this time there is no way of coming back from that!"

"You're gonna smile. You're gonna read the cards that Effie gives you and you're gonna live happily ever after. You may have been a bit blunt with him but he has to realise that he can't linger in the past. I'll have a word with him but you need to show him that you care. Think you can do that? " The tears are still pouring down her face but she nods slightly. "Yeah? Come here." I hold my arms out to her and take her into a hug, she is still only young after all, its a lot for her to take in and have resting on her shoulders."You're gonna be okay. I promise."

****

Just a short one seeing as the last one was so long and y idea for the next chapter would have really fit in being a part of this one :P

I know this isn't what happened in the book but I wanted to give it my own twist :)

-Alannah xxx