1. Life in twelve

Katniss's POV

"My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am a Victor of the 74th Hunger games. Peeta Mellark won it with me. We defied the Capitol. Our home is district twelve. I love him ... I miss him."

Today's the day of the start of the Victory tour and I have barely spoken a word to Peeta since we returned to twelve. He didn't want to forget what happened in the games but I did. The sad thing is he thinks I meant that I want to forget about us. I don't. It might have started out as an act but it made me realise that I really do love him but I can't tell him that now he will never believe me.

Life has been pretty miserable since I got back home but it was nice to see Prim and my Mother again seeing as I thought I never would. Prim has grown so much and is doing really well with her healing.

I spend most of my time in the meadow hunting now as I have nothing else to do. Its tradition that victors take up a hobby after winning but seeing as Haymitch's is drinking I don't see why mine cannot be hunting but Cinna disagrees. He knows that the Capitol are against hunting so he makes out like I followed in his footsteps and have taken up fashion designing. We tried it out and I failed miserably so he just puts my name to a few things in his collection and shows it off to the Capitol.

I've come out to the meadow this morning anyway, its the only place I am really at ease as I feel like I am being watched everywhere else. Gale has come with me but seeing as I panicked when I shot my arrow as I saw myself shooting Marvel again we're just wandering around.

"So how's life as a Victor Catnip?" He insists on calling me that as when we first met he thought that I had said Catnip and not Katniss but seeing as its him I let it slide.

"Oh its delightful!" I say sarcastically rolling my eyes which makes him chuckle.

"Hey it has to beat being down the mines six days a week."

"Oh you go down the mines? I just thought it was nearly time for your yearly bath Gale!" We both end up in fits of laughter at my comment but he still pretends to act hurt.

"Ouch Catnip. Some of us font have all the luxuries of hot running water straight out the tap."

I feel dreadful now. He refuses to take any money off me to help with him and his family or at least not with him knowing. I pass on money to his mother when he isn't there and I always give him more of the meat we catch and even Peeta gives them food from the bakery when Gales mum goes in. "I'm sorry Gale I didn't meant it that way .."

"Hey Catnip its alright, I know you didn't." He smiles slightly so I know he means it, "now come on we better get going you have to be back home soon."

I nod and we walk back in silence. When we get past his house his mum is stood at the window waving to me. They're like my second family as me and Gale have always looked out for eachother. I wave back to her and head off to victors village. Its time to wake Haymitch.

The streets of twelve are empty I get back to victors village without seeing a soul. I walk in and the first two houses are empty. There's only three houses occupied; mine, Peeta's and Haymitch's. Peeta's and mine are opposite eachother with Haymitch's next to Peeta's.

As I walk along I reach Peeta's house and stop outside. He's in the kitchen baking and I can't help but smile. The flour in his hair, his white apron he wears every time he bakes. He puts a tray of bread in the oven and closes the oven door. He steps over to his work bench and must notice something he didn't put in and slams his hand down on the bench sending all the flour on it rising up in the air and covering him in it sending me in fits of laughter. Peeta must hear me as he looks up and I realise the window is open and immediately stop laughing, "Sorry but you look like Effie has been doing your make-up!" I can't help but start laughing again but he just wipes his face and walks out of the kitchen. He must hate me.