20. Take the hints

Katniss's POV

I leave Haymitch's house and head back to my own. I take a peak through the window at Peeta's and see him hard at work baking. Bless him. I can't help but smile at seeing him even if his hair is sticking up all which ways and is covered in flour.

I continue walking over to my house and walk in only to have Prim rush over to me and knock me over as I shut the door, "Oh Katniss its so unfair. Why do you have to go back in the arena. I don't want to lose you I can't lose you again," Prim wails at me.

"Hey hey hey don't you worry little duck," I say rubbing her pack as she squeezes me tight, "I'll do what I can for you ok? I promise you that you will always be looked after my little duck." I'm just sorry thag I won't be coming back from the games. I can't let her think that might happen, but she will be looked after, I know that even without me being here Peeta would be there for her.

"I love you Katniss," she says sitting up.

I wipe away the tears rolling down her cheeks, "I love you too Prim. Will you be ok if I go stay at Peeta's tonight or would you like me to stay here?"

"No its ok you go to him." She says with a little smile.

"That's my little soldier," I say before kissing her forehead.

"Have you told him yet?" She asks and I know exactly what she means.

"No, not yet. I will do tonight," I sigh. "As if it wasn't hard enough to tell him in the first place. I better go, you know were I am if you need me. Look after mom will you?"

"Of course I will." She says giving me another big squeeze, "Peeta came over to see you before while you were out so you better hurry over to see him he seemed pretty worried."

I laugh slightly, "Silly old Peeta." I stand up and open the door, "See you tomorrow little duck."

No sooner have I closed the door than I hear my name being called, "Katniss!" I'd recognise that voice anywhere, its Peeta. He must have seen me through his kitchen window as he was baking, I walk down the steps and he's already out his front door and running towards me.

I don't even think before I find myself running towards him, jumping into his arms and wrapping my legs around his waist as he places his hands underneath me to hold me up. I drape my arms over his shoulders and press my lips against his. "I love you Peeta Mellark."

"I love you too Katniss soon to be Mellark." I can't help but smile at his comment.

"I like the sound of that."

"Awww!" I hear come from behind us and turn to look and see Prim hanging out her bedroom window."Oops sorry! I'll just be going," she says as she steps back from the window and ducks down but enough so that her eyes and top of her head can been seen peeping out.

"Nightee night Prim." I call up to her before turning back to Peeta, "Now how about we hide from nosy little eyes and head inside?"

"Ha ha ok. You fancy walking?"

"I shake my head in reply, " Nope not particularly," Peeta just laughs and turns to walk towards us house still carrying me. I give a quick wave to Prim before I'm carried inside. Peeta walks into the kitchen and places me on the worktop. "You know I seem to remember the last time I jumped up at you we ended up crashing to the floor in the snow."

"Ah yes. I was a little more prepared to catch you this time mind..." Peeta says. He still hasn't moved his hands from my back even though I am sat on the kitchen bench.

"Mmmm what is that amazing smell?"
Peeta chuckles, "Well I thought for our little date night I would make your favourite."

"No way! You made cheese buns!"