17. Existing pool of victors

Peeta's POV

Each person has been ordered to be in their homes for the time of the Presidential speech where the quarter quell will be revealed. So I begrudgingly left Katniss with Prim and her mother and headed back over to my house. I opened the door and headed in kicking my shoes off as I walk in before pouring myself a glass of water and heading into the dark sitting room when the house phone goes off, it doesn't ring often seeing as its only Katniss and Haymitch who have a phone too here in twelve so it was going to be one of the two.

"Hello?"

"Its only me, I just wanted to check you got home ok."

"Well hello only you, yes I did thank you. I only life across the path you can see me from your front room if you looked you dafty."

"I know, I know. I just worry."

"Well its sweet of you Kat but I'm a big lad you know its time I started acting like one." I hear her giggle down the phone, "Now go on, I'll see you later we can have a cuddle by the fire later?"

"Sounds perfect. I love you Peeta."

"I love you too Katniss." I put the phone down and walk over my chair in front of the television.

President Snow stands in front of a raging crowd ready to announce this years quarter quell games. A small box that sits infront of him is opened to reveal a small yellow envelope containing this years twist. As he lifts up the envelope and shows it to the crowd he begins his speech, "In this, the 75th Hunger games and the third quarter quell ..." He breaks the presidential seal on the envelope and folds it open, "As a reminder, that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol. On this, the third Quarter Quell game, the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

"... Katniss!" A rage of emotions rush through my head;anger, worry just to name a couple. Wait I have to think rationally about this, I have to protect Katniss and to do that I need to speak with Haymitch.

I rush out my front door and run next door to Haymitch's before banging on the door. "Haymitch I know you're in there I need to speak with you!"

I hear his grunts from the front room, "Come in boy."

I fling the door open and storm through the hall and into the front room."That was staged! That snake has had this planned this from the beginning! He knew that no matter what we did on the tour we could solve nothing and he knew Katniss would have to go in to the games this way!"

"Peeta calm down!" Haymitch doesn't shout so when he does I am completely taken back and don't say a word. "There is nothing you can do for her by shouting and yelling."

"You're right. I need you to help her in the games." He goes to speak but I cut him off,"you know what you're doing to get sponsors and I would be no use on the outside, I need to be in that arena with her its the only way I can protect her. I will volunteer in your place that way at least one of us will come back, all I ask of you is to get the sponsors for her I won't need them nor do I want them. Ok?"

"Ok son. I swear I will do everything I can to get her out of there too."

"Thank you Haymitch. You seem pretty sober you ran out of liquor again?" He chuckles.

"Nope I've got a good stash going again. I threw my glass at the screen during the announcement and haven't replaced it yet, but don't you worry I will be enjoying a nice bottle later."

"Ha ha well thank you for doing this for me anyway Haymitch h but don't say anything to Kat ok? I don't want her to worry."

"My lips are sealed."

"Good. I better go and find her now," I say as I walk to the front door, "Oh and Haymitch?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for calming me down too."

I hear him laugh,"Dont worry about that, although you are quite amusing mad." He's right I must have looked like right mad man running over here shouting and raging.

Time to go find Katniss.

I hope she's alright, well the best she can be given the situation.

I knock on the door and its Prim that answers all puffy eyed and red faced from crying, "Oh come here sweetie," she rushes straight in to my arms,"Don't worry Prim I will do everything to make sure Katniss comes home safe to you ok?"

"This is so wrong! You both only got out last year and now Kat has to go back again, what if that doesn't happen again what if something happens?!" She says between sobs.

"I'll be right there with her Prim and I will do absolutely everything in my power to get her home, don't you worry an inch about that." She starts to calm down and stops crying. "There we go much better, we can't have you getting upset now can we?" She shakes her head and stands up releasing herself from my arms, "Can I see Katniss please Prim?"

"She ran out when it was announced and we haven't seen her since, she's probably in the meadow."

"I'll go find her..."

Prim interrupts, "Peeta wait. It's probably best to leave her be, its been a bit of a shocking day for her. Maybe a bit of time alone will help to calm her down?" I want to find her but maybe Prim is right.

"You're right Prim, well when she comes back will you send her over to mine? I want to make sure she's ok."

She runs back into my arms and hugs me tight,"I'm so glad she found you Peeta. She's so much happier and even I don't know what if do without you."

"Thank you Prim. I glad you feel this way." I say before kissing her on top of the head before she runs off in to the house.

Now its just a waiting game ...

***

In a writing mood as you can probably tell as this is now the third chapter today ... Ah well :P

-Alannah xxx