5. Distress in the districts

Peeta's POV

I warn you now this is a rather long chapter :P

***

We step out onto the train station platform to be greated by long lines of peacekeepers all along the station. I don't blame Effie for being a tad shocked by the welcoming party we received, she was probably expecting something a lot more extravagant, after all this is Effie.

We are lead out of the station and over to a peacekeepers truck where we are told in no uncertain terms to get in. Effie struggled to climb in with her heels on yet not one peacekeeper stopped to help all they did was wave her in with their guns. I myself was even pushed forwards by the peacekeeper behind me using his gun as brute force.

"Can you not see she is struggling?!" Haymitch turns around to snarl at the peacekeepers to our side.

Katniss instantly grabs my hand as if silently telling me to keep calm, we have had enough dealings with peacekeepers in the past its probably best not to start another one as she knows I will back him up.

"She's taking too long. It could cause a riot with the people in the forests." The peacekeeper said. It must be a very fragile time in twelve if being outside the train station is such a problem. Maybe they aren't allowed to leave the district, it could explain the amount of peacekeepers around as I'm pretty sure its not because they are worried for our protection.

"Its ok Haymitch, thank you though, I am just not used to these big, ghastly cars. There is hardly a ladylike way to get in." Effie giggles at her own comment as she says it and finally gets in to the truck and sits down, Haymitch in tow.

Amusingly Katniss takes a hold of the handle at the side of the truck and jumps in, "Well I guess I'm just not ladylike then," sending us all in to fits of laughter that I almost fall as I step into the truck.

The door slams behind me causing me to jump and hit my head on the roof, "Oww!" I shout rubbing my head and throwing myself down in the seat next to Katniss, "Today just isn't going well is it?" She just shakes her head at me and cuddles into my side.

"Ok you two, now it is tradition for the victor or in this case the victors to give a little speech about the games and pay respect oo the fallen tributes and their families which for eleven," even Effie found it hard to say their names tears welling up in her yes, "Thresh and Rue. So that you didn't feel put on the spot I have taken the opportunity to write your speech on to these cards." She says holding them out to us both but I quickly take both Katniss's and mine in my hands.

I turn to Katniss and she lifts her head up to look at me, "I can do the talking if you like?"

She smiled her perfect little smile before placing her hand on top of mine, "Thank you." I know this tour will be hard for her, she hasn't been herself since the day we left twelve. Eleven will be especially so because of the bond she formed with Rue.

"All you have to do is to smile, wave, give a brief eulogy to the fallens family and then it will all be over." Effie goes on to say.

"Don't you forget you are the star crossed lovers show it off to Panel. I'm talking to you Katniss," Haymitch said.

"You know Haymitch, I find that if you show your true feelings towards someone publically it makes things a whole lot easier don't you think?" Katniss teases and I know exactly what she us trying to do by trying to get him to slip up about him and Effie.

Before Haymitch even had the chance to answer Effie interrupted, "OK boys and girl we are here. Welcome to the square of district eleven. We could see the people trudging into the main square in front of the justice building from the car window. You almost forget how bit district eleven is until you see them try and all cram into one place. The crowds disappear as we turn the corner towards the rear if the Justice building. " well here we are," she says ushering us out if the truck,"your time has arrived, eleven is waiting and you are all prepped and ready to go! "