27. Tribute

Katniss's POV

Once they leave I take a look in the mirror to see Cinna has dressed me in a simple blue jumpsuit with a thin brown belt, and a pair of black lace up boots. I look like I'm about to go down in the mines let alone be presented in front of the cameras. I'm not sure if this is what Cinna had originally planned for me or if he had to change it due to my announcement to him yesterday but either way my slight bump is not very noticeable only slightly from the sides so as long as I stay facing to the cameras as much as possible I should be fine and its not as it people are going to be staring at my stomach anyway. I continue to look at myself in the mirror and see my signature plaited hair as Cinna calls it trailing down my back with my fringe left to dangle down the sides of my face. Plain and simple today which makes a change from the extravagance I usually have to play off for the cameras so its nice. If anything can be nice on a day like today.

"Katniss," I hear a voice say from behind me.

I turn to the door to notice him stood leaning there and I can't help but smile slightly jut at the thought of him being here with me, "Peeta."

"It's time to go," he says holding out his hand to me and I have to fight the tears back from that moment on.

We make our way downstairs through the house which is deadly quiet as everyone else was ordered to be at the reaping before us, probably to make some great dramatic entrance. outside is Haymitch stood at the bottom of the steps running his hand through his hair.

"Well I guess this is it," he sighs but all I can do to reply is nod. "I just want you both to know that whatever happens out there we have each others backs OK?" I smile slightly and give him a tight squeeze. "Alright sweetheart. Come on we better go Happy over there looks like he'll split a boot if he paces anymore."

Peeta and I both look over to the peacekeepers at the entrance of the village where one paces back and forth obviously anxious to be on time, "Well we don't want to keep our audience waiting now do we." I throw and arm over each of their shoulders and we all over to the entrance of the village in silence.

"Finally decided to get going now have we," the impatient peacekeeper spits. I go to retort but Peeta squeezes me hand and I re think it. "Line up all of you."

"Alright no need to shout there's three of us not an army," Haymitch says rubbing his ear.

"You first." The peacekeeper points at my so I stand forward and Peeta and Haymitch both fall in to line behind me. Three peacekeepers line up on each side of us and begin to march their way towards the reaping. What's with all the precautions I mean really six peacekeepers what do they expect from us? To run away?

All that can be heard is the clank of their armour as we walk. No one says a word and nobody even dares breathes. We reach the reaping and a path has been left down the centre for us to walk up to the stage where Effie stands in the centre. I give a reassuring smile to Prim as I pass her before heading up on stage and assuming my position in front of the bowl with my singular name in it.

"Welcome. Welcome. As we celebrate this the 75th anniversary and the third quarter quell of the annual hunger games. As always ladies first." Effie says this and turns to me with a wavering smile as she says the last line. She tentatively walks over to the bowl and picks out the singular paper which everyone in Panem knows has my name on it. Effie makes her way back to the microphone twiddling the paper in her hand before opening it but not even looking at it. She places her hands down by her side squeezing the piece of paper tightly in her hand crushing it slightly as she looks up and off in to the distance, "The female tribute from district twelve, Katniss Everdeen."

Effie holds out her hand as if to gesture my over and I trudge over not wanting to make eye contact with her as I can already feel the tears one by one trailing down my cheeks. As I stand beside her she rubs my back lightly. A simple gesture but a nice one all the same as it make me fell slightly more at ease for a few moments before she continues.