14. Drinking partner

Katniss's POV

Peeta and I soon make our excuses and head back to the train hand in hand. "You know Peeta, even though I didn't manage to prove to him how much I do love you ... I'm glad we did this." I say rolling the newly placed engagement ring around my finger.

"Me too ... Now come on you soppy git let's go and have a well deserved rest after today. Besides, I'm the one that's meant to be soppy not you!" I can't help but laugh at that, he's right he is normally the soft one but I guess I must be softening up.

We walk swinging our hands between us as we walk and soon arrive back at the train where Peeta stops before he walks in, "Is something wrong Peeta?"
"No, no nothing is wrong," he says before turning to face me, "I just wanted to do this," he says before pulling me in towards him and kissing me passionately.

"OI! Can you two not let go of eachother for two minutes!" A voice calls from inside the train.

"I think that may have been a little bit too much PDA for Haymitch huh?" Peeta says.

"It must be withdrawal symptoms from Effie!" I burst out laughing as I say it and so does Peeta.

"I heard that you know!" Haymitch shouts out the window.

"Whoops ..." I take Peeta's hand as we head onto the train and into the TV car where we find Haymitch, unsurprisingly with a drink in his hand.

"So how did you two find the presidential party?" He says the last words in a mocking Capitol accent.

"As good as can be expected, smile, wave and make it seem like you want to be there ... " Peeta says as he throws himself down on a couch.

"So the usual really," I say, "I'll be back in a moment, there's only so long I can cope in a dress ..." I hear them both chuckle as I leave the room.

"Typical Katniss," I catch Haymitch say as I leave the room.

I head down the train to my room where Cinna has already laid some clothes out for me on the bed with a note on top,

' If I know you well, which I'm pretty sure I do, then you will want to get changed when you come back.

I promise no more dresses for a while now my girl on fire.

Cinna
X'

He laid out a pair of black leggings and a big forest green top. Comfort at finest. I slide my dress off and hang it up on the wardrobe as its a bit long to fit inside of it before pulling on the clothes Cinna left out for me and heading back down the train.

I come across the security room I did a few days ago with cameras in all the districts. Riots. Snow's right, I did nothing but fuel the fire. I catch sight of twelve and it is calm and quiet not a person on the streets ... I wonder why.

I return back down the train walking back to the TV car where I walk in to find Peeta and Haymitch laughing uncontrollably. "What's so funny then you two?"

When they finally manage to stop laughing like little school girls I get a reply, "I was just telling Haymitch about Effie's love of the palace library..."

"Ah yes, the mahogany," I say as I sit myself down next to Peeta and lean against him, "She still hasn't forgiven me for my trick with the knife last year has she?"

Haymitch chuckles, "I'm afraid not sweetheart, she probably never will either. You know how much she loves her mahogany and that table was the love of her life." He says with a wink. "Anyway I would like to congratulate us all on surviving this hellish train journey and to going home!" He says raising his glass in the air and downing all that is in it . Typical Haymitch.

"So how come you abandoned the party then Haymitch?" I ask him.

"I haven't been to the damn place since my own victory tour and I don't plan on it any time soon," he replies abruptly.

"They not have a big enough liquor store for you Haymitch?" Peeta quick wittedly replies.

"Touché. But no probably not, especially if I had to spend the night with a bunch if Capitol fr..." He is cut off by Effie arriving.

"Capitol what Haymitch?" She questions.

"Freaks. I mean just this morning I saw a man give his young boy a toy sword and you know the first thing he did with it? Swung it at his sisters neck. I can just about cope with the Capitol but some things I guess I will just never understand." Effie seemed ready to argue with him when he began but even she can't deny some of the stage things people in the Capitol do.

"I hope you're not insinuating anything about me there?" She replys as she come and sits on the single chair between the two couches.

"Oh not you doll ... Although you could do with loosening your corset like this more often." Haymitch is right, Effie is a lot more relaxed tonight ...

"Found yourself a friend Haymitch? It seems that alcohol does Effie some good too!" I say causing a laugh out if everyone, even Effie.

"OK well maybe I've had a little, but mind your manners Missy I'm still your escort." Effie says.

"Oh Effie you're much more than that don't worry, I wouldn't tease you so if we weren't so close." She's more like family to Peeta and I almost like a second mum, but I won't tell her that part she may not take that lightly.

"Oh Katniss I think that's the nicest thing you have ever said to me," she says the terms welling up in her eyes.

"I wouldn't get used to it Ef, you know what she's like," Haymitch says jokingly.

I lie my head against Peeta's shoulder and within seconds feel myself drifting off to sleep when I feel a kiss on my head, "Night night sleepy head."

****

Just a filler chapter with a bit of cuteness from Everlark.

The next chapter will skip forward a few weeks now.

What o you guys think so far?

-Alannah xxx