23. Not so secret

Katniss's POV

For the next couple of months we get on with training, the three of us working together. I'm sure Haymitch can sense something is up but he doesn't press on the matter, probably just assumes its me worrying about having to go back into the arena. Little does he know I have a much bigger secret to hide.

I have started to show slightly but not enough to be recognised, especially with the baggy clothes I've been wearing. Peeta and I have spoken about telling Haymitch and Effie about the baby but with the reaping only a day away we've decided that we should tell them after it happens... I dont need the freaking out over the games and I certainly want the last few days I have to be spent training. It's not as if there is anything they could do to help me. But that's fine. This time its my choice and Peeta will be the one to come out of that arena alive. I need to be ready to fight for his life... I just need to find a way to make sure he has something to come back to.

The months spent training have allowed us to all to improve immensely. Haymitch has not only shown Peeta how to fight and throw knives, but I dare say he could give Haymitch a run for his money, especially with Peeta's strength behind him too.

Haymitch has been trying to get me to be more violent so that I would be able to fight someone if it came to it over a bow. He keeps putting me against Peeta and trying to get him to fight with me but Peeta is a lot more apprehensive knowing my condition whereas Haymitch just thinks he's being soft. I know I could do it if it did come to it in the arena especially if it was the difference between saving Peeta and not.

I'm brought out of my thoughts by a bottle flying at my head, "OW!" I shout grabbing my forehead where it hits me.

"Oh welcome back to Panem sweetheart," Haymitch says sarcastically.

"Sorry where were we?" I say in reply.

"Never mind there's not much more we can do now ..." I go to interrupt him as any time training could be vital but he stops me, "If we aren't ready now we probably never will be and besides Cinna should be here soon for you."

"Why is Cinna coming? It's only a reaping?" Peeta says asking the same think I was thinking.

"Because you two are victors now. Any time you go infront of the camera then your stylists will be there to dress you," Haymitch answers, "Now go on you two. I need a good drink."

I roll my eyes at Haymitch's comment but he just smirks in reply so I take Peeta's hand and we head upstairs to leave. "You ok?"

"Hmm? Yeah I'm fine," I reply still wondering what I can do for Peeta so that he has something to come back to after the quell. What if there was a way be could come back with the baby.

He squeezes my hand, "Good. Don't want you worrying yourself over tomorrow."

"I'm more worried about you. What if you end up in the arena with me? I can't let you choose my own life over yours and what if its Haymitch? I can't make him..."

Peeta turns so he is stood infront of me and places his hands on my shoulders, "Hey don't you worry about any of that. You know you and that little one mean the world to me and I just want you two safe and if it means that I can't be with you then that's just how it has to be." He smiles at me as if waiting for me to agree with him that he should die. Does he seriously think I can ever agree to that? I just try to change the subject instead.

"I love you Peeta Mellark," I say giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I love you too Katniss almost Mellark," he says with a wink. I roll my hands and place my hand back in his as we leave Haymitch's house and head back to our own.