36. Interviews

Katniss's POV

After attempting to tell Haymitch and Effie about the baby he leaves to take his seat in the audience as Effie and I make our way to the stage. She decided she needed to come with me and surprisingly, I was glad of the company.

As we reach the side of the stage Cinna is stood their waiting for me and quickly finishes sorting my dress in preparation for the show as Effie looks on. "Alright, now turn around," Cinna says and I turn to face him. "I think I'm done," he says stepping back to assess me.

"Will I be twirling tonight?" I ask.

"Save it for the end," he says with as light smile so I just nod.

"One minute till show time," Effie says as she bounces over before turning to Cinna, "Is she ready?"

Cinna doesn't say a word just steps aside allowing Effie to get a final look of me in my wedding dress "Oh, Katniss," she says taking my hands. I can see the tears welling up in her eyes. "You would've been the most beautiful bride."

"Thank you Effie. I'd have been glad of it," I say with a quick smile, "now stop with those tears or you'll have me going!" I announce and se laughs slightly a she dabs them away.

"Let's go show them what real beauty looks like," she says walking me over to where I will enter the stage, which is where we find Johanna mason and her stylist who is trying to fix her dress.

"It has to go up!" Johanna almost shouts lifting up the dress to show the stylist what he means but her aggressive tone leads the stylist to run off in tears.

"Katniss, they're going to adore you. And there are a lot of sponsors in the audience. So of course just be your usual self. Actually, be your happier self." Effie says as she ushers around me straightening out my dress.

I turn to Johanna and roll my eyes causing her to smirk. She looks my up and down before commenting, "Really? A wedding dress?"

"Snow made me wear it," I reply bluntly not wanting to get into it.

"Make him pay for it," Johanna replies the smirk reappearing on her face as she says it and I ant help but do the same back.

"Katniss it's time!" Effie squeals as the smoke builds across the floor and the particular in front of my begins to rise revealing me to the audience.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, you know her as the girl on fire...and the victor of last year's Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen!

I walk onto the stage as the audience cheers and I know it's all for me. I need to work this crowd. I have to do this.

"Katniss Everdeen, you look fabulous! Doesn't she?" Caesar says turning to the audience who erupt in cheers once again. "My, my. Wooh, wooh, wooh! Now, Katniss, this is a very big and very emotional night, for all of us. Wouldn't you say?"

"Oh, don't go crying on me now, Caesar," I say cheekily causing both him and the audience to laugh.

"I can't be making promises, you know me..." I do and I expect a lot of tears from him but I laugh all the same.

"You know I wouldn't believe you even if you did," I say referring to his promise.

"I love her! The girl on fire, so cheeky. But, Katniss, on more serious note. I think we're all here a little disappointed, more than a little disappointed, that a certain wedding did not take place. Aren't we folks? " I feel my stomach clench at the thought. I could be happy at home back in district twelve awaiting the arrival of my little miss and et here I am. Stood on a stage being paraded around before I'm sent to my death. "Mm...alas. But, am I correct in assuming that this is the gown that you would have worn on that day, yes or no?"